Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

It's That Time

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: It's That Time

Postby RGrew176 » October 22nd, 2018, 11:06 pm

For the record and once again just my opinion. Why I blow out the water lines prior to pumping through the pink stuff is the lines are full of water. Pumping in the pink stuff it will get diluted a bit by the water in the lines. If I blow out the lines all or most of the water is gone therefore less to no dilution of the pink stuff as it is run through.

Again, just my way of doing the winterization process. Not saying it's the best or only way to do it. Just my way. I have seen a lot of serious arguments in other forums over winterization of boats and boating components. If it works for you I see no need to change how you do it.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 23rd, 2018, 7:08 am

RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post.....If it works for you I see no need to change how you do it.
While I agree this is the case for some things, I caution for others. Just because a procedure has been working for you for years with seemingly no ill effects doesn't mean it's the right thing or way to do something. You don't know what you don't know and because one has never experienced a failure doing something their way rather than the recommended way doesn't mean it's okay, it just means you've been lucky so far. Winterizing is a prime example of this. I've been on so many forums where folks have preached that "their way" has worked for them for years only to see some of them start a thread the following spring asking for opinions on where to purchase an engine.

You're on the right track by removing as much water out of a system as possible prior to adding the antifreeze. If you continue to do that, a failure won't be the result dilution.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 23rd, 2018, 3:53 pm

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Most of those claims about having additives for "greater corrosion resistance" are complete BS. I looked at many different MSDS sheets for various polypropylene glycol mixtures that are on the market and none show anything but different concentrations of polypropylene glycol and water which results in the various freeze protections.

There are two different 'pink' fluids... one glycol and one alcohol. See Vipers post from last year (or the year before?)

Rethinking this post on my drive home and thought I should clarify. You can get polypropylene glycol "antifreeze" or polypropylene glycol "coolant". The coolant will have corrosion inhibitors but all will not be non-toxic. It will be much safer than ethylene glycol. This is the version some cars use when they went from the "green" coolant to orange or purple. What you typically find for winterizing is just polypropylene glycol mixed with water, which is non-toxic. It does not have corrosion inhibitor additives, but filling a block with polypropylene glycol will stop air from getting to unprotected metal, which would help minimize corrosion.

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » October 23rd, 2018, 10:46 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post.....If it works for you I see no need to change how you do it.
While I agree this is the case for some things, I caution for others. Just because a procedure has been working for you for years with seemingly no ill effects doesn't mean it's the right thing or way to do something. You don't know what you don't know and because one has never experienced a failure doing something their way rather than the recommended way doesn't mean it's okay, it just means you've been lucky so far. Winterizing is a prime example of this. I've been on so many forums where folks have preached that "their way" has worked for them for years only to see some of them start a thread the following spring asking for opinions on where to purchase an engine.

You're on the right track by removing as much water out of a system as possible prior to adding the antifreeze. If you continue to do that, a failure won't be the result dilution.

Good points as always.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 24th, 2018, 12:52 am

As others have mentioned, always try to remove as much water from all systems as possible.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » October 24th, 2018, 9:37 am

Great thread. Thanks to all.

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » October 25th, 2018, 4:43 am

Yesterday (Wednesday) I headed to the boat to do more prep work for pulling out. I pumped out all the water in the fresh water tanks. I then drained the water heater and blew out all the lines. I then poured in 16 gallons of Stabil Marine RV anti freeze. Later today I will head back to run the pink stuff through the system and get it ready for winter.

I will also winterize my head and holding tank and the shower sump. That will be it for me. The engines and A/C system I will leave to the pros. Next week I plan to take one last short ride then haul out for the winter.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » October 26th, 2018, 4:23 am

Thursday I managed to winterize the head/holding tank and the shower sump. Last thing left to do is run the pink stuff through all the water lines then I will be ready for haul out. Like it or not, tis that time of the year.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Return to “General Boating Discussion”