Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Seattle area Boat Survey impression

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Seattle area Boat Survey impression

Postby Cliffm » November 12th, 2018, 2:55 pm

My wife and I are wrapping up purchasing a 2006 Carver 36 MY via Denison Yachts. During our interaction with the brokers we were introduced to Bill Evans to perform our purchase survey.

I wouldn't hesitate to use or recommend Bill again, he's not only thorough, but very responsive. After pointing out a water logged /delaminated swim step in the initial survey, he suggested a technician to handle the work and followed up with post completion survey as well.

His report was comprehensive and detailed which we passed along to the bank.

William D Evans, AMS430
Blue Water Marine Surveys
w.evans430@gmail.com
O 206-932-2415
C 206-226-0512

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Seattle area Boat Survey impression

Postby pepmyster » November 16th, 2018, 4:53 am

Glad everything worked out for you!!!!!!!

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » November 17th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Hey Cliff. Wishes for great luck with your new boat. I do have a question though as to why did you decide to go with a Carver?
Seems to me that many folks in your neck of the woods prefer single diesel engine trawlers with a stove heater in the salon.
Of course, I think you made a great choice but am curious about your decision making.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 18th, 2018, 3:28 am

Congratulations on your Carver. Hope you have lots of great times aboard.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » November 18th, 2018, 8:09 pm

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Hey Cliff. Wishes for great luck with your new boat. I do have a question though as to why did you decide to go with a Carver?
Seems to me that many folks in your neck of the woods prefer single diesel engine trawlers with a stove heater in the salon.
Of course, I think you made a great choice but am curious about your decision making.

Well, let me say that the "Captain" wanted a "floating Condo" so we were originally looking for Meridian 341. We had toyed with a Meridian 368, but then decided a 2006 or newer would be the ticket. Problem was price point, they are still high...
Lots of Sundancers around, our friends have a 33' but we wanted something different than that.
We looked at a Carver mariner, wasn't thrilled... kept looking, 4th year, at the boat show, ran into Gene Harkins, Dennison Yachts, said he had a floating condo we should look at....and there we go!

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » November 18th, 2018, 9:53 pm

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Hey Cliff. Wishes for great luck with your new boat. I do have a question though as to why did you decide to go with a Carver?

The wife and have been looking at bigger boats (she currently has 2003 Bayliner 245 that will be going up for sale this spring) for over 4yrs, price pint kept us away from new ones. We're into a 2009 SeaRay 36 when issues arose and we backed out.

This year at Seattle boats afloat, bumped into Gene Harkins from Dennison Yachts, he asked us what we were looking for? and my wife responded " a floating Condo"....Gene got wide eyed and said! " I have the boat for you!" as the owners bought it for that very purpose... a floating condo.

We liked the feel/roominess of the salon area, the twin heads, berths. The Helm and covered deck seating area grew on us as well. The price point was good, better than a used Merdian 341 that we've been shopping for....although the current owners did very little actual maintenance, lots to be done, but we'll chip away at it. Having 3-zone A/C heat, all available via Generator when on the hook is plus! as well as very nice galley area. Speaking of Galley, the under floor storage space over the fwd gray water tank, is fantastic. We looking at Containers Plus, to get 4 that will slide around like a Tetris puzzle to store stuff in.

Fuel injected 8.1L without cats or O2's are a maintenance dream. Although its currently doesn't have a bow thruster, we adjusted the offer price to cover this installation which is coming in Dec.

We're hoping for 10yrs of enjoyable use in the PNW waters, both south sound/north sound/San Juans and BC Gulf Islands.

Cliff & Beth Mathison

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 18th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Sounds like you found the best boat for you. Best of luck and I hope your floating condo is everything you have dreamed about in a boat.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » November 19th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Gotta love the floating condos!

United States of America
tycal92
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 356

Postby tycal92 » January 29th, 2019, 1:02 am

Cliff,

I'd be interested to know who you use to install the bow thruster and an estimate on the cost. We have a 2001 356 MY and a thruster install is on our list of things to do. We are also in the PNW.
Thanks.
Tyson

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » January 30th, 2019, 9:41 am

Tyson,

I'd say call, but he's hard to get on the phone, so go see " Tony" at Yacht Performnce Center 206-633-1195

Lynn Hilla will answer the phone, since all the guy's are usually out in the yard scrambling around the boats lined up.

Tony Stempak is owner/operator Jim, Nic, Randy are all talented hard working guy's. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them for other work. Tony told me not to bother with stern thruster till I was used to the boat w/bow thruster, and then come back if I thought I really needed it. I appreciated that.

Tell him I sent ya!

Cliff

Return to “General Boating Discussion”