Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reusing the shrink

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Reusing the shrink

Postby km1125 » November 16th, 2018, 10:57 pm

I think this is my 6th year reusing the same shrink. I cut it at the back the first year and rolled it up towards the bow. Stuck it in a bag for the summer and pulled it out and put it back on in the fall. My process has gotten a little better over the years and each year I think it's going to be the last, but then I find I can get one more year. I have bought two rolls of 4" shrink tape over the years to patch little holes or to replace the old tape... seems like the tape glue is the first thing to give out after sitting outside a few years.

Here's a "before" and "after". I can get the shrink folded down small enough (about 18"x24"x42") to fit up my attic stairs ladderway.

boat_shrink1.jpg

boat_shrink2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Reusing the shrink

Postby bud37 » November 17th, 2018, 9:19 am

Wow....you are a magician, thats all I got to say...the guys around here are lucky to get a month out of the stuff.....you get any real amounts of snow where you are ?.... :worthy:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 17th, 2018, 10:50 am

Last year I think we got 42"... but it's all relative on what's a "real" amount. Too some, that would be the North Pole, to others just a dusting!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 18th, 2018, 5:27 pm

42" ....Haarrr...that be nothin matey......the only place near us that measures in 2017 got 14' and they get much less than we do....so there......

This be the new wrap for us......... :-D .. :popcorn:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 18th, 2018, 11:04 am

km1125 - Good job! There really is no reason why other boaters should not do this. Just be careful rolling it off, repair small holes like you do, and maybe a new vent hear and there. Those cap vents are cheap and keep the shrink wrap tight with annual adjustments. Excellent savings opportunity.

bud37 - that cover is really nice. Portable heater and you would have a man cave to retreat to.
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “General Boating Discussion”