Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Drain Plug Reinstall

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Drain Plug Reinstall

Postby Sadey » December 21st, 2018, 8:14 am

Took the drain plug out to see what would come out. Nothing did but should I use TFE paste or Teflon to reinstall? Honestly I can’t remember what was on the brass plug when I removed it.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Drain Plug Reinstall

Postby bud37 » December 21st, 2018, 8:25 am

I always put pipe dope on,( not the tape ), keeps the threads lubricated, seals and makes it easy to get out again....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 21st, 2018, 8:46 am

When on the ground you should keep the plug out. You most likely have your batteries disconnected, so no bilge pumps. So if water does get in, there is no other way for it to get out. Boats do sink on land.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 21st, 2018, 10:28 am

This may not be normal, but I do not put anything on the drain plug. The design of the threads are what keeps the seal intact, so you actually have 4 or 5 layers of "seal" already. Had a friend who put a sealer on his plug, and he snapped it trying to remove it the following year. Different brand of boat.
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 21st, 2018, 12:10 pm

The seal created by the tapered thread fit is exactly the theory when you have properly cut threads,and will work most times.... but these days that is a rarity at best, consider where this stuff comes from, that is the reason for the dope ( paste ).....tape in the wrong hands, if over tightened can split brass fittings and be hard to remove.....just sayin......have a good Holiday season... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
Sadey
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Former owner of a 2003 Carver 356 with 8.1 Mercs
Agradecida
Current owner 1989 60’ Hatteras MY with 8v92 Detroit’s
Benedetto

Postby Sadey » December 21st, 2018, 3:49 pm

Went to the boat today and looked at the drain plug. Does not look as if there was any type of dope on the threads. However I’m going to put just a little bit of paste on and reinstalled the drain plug. I’m inside so no worry about water getting into the village.
Thank you for the help!

Dave & Trina

Return to “General Boating Discussion”