Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

saw it in post

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
rjr
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 440 MY

saw it in post

Postby rjr » January 30th, 2019, 4:55 pm

In one of the recent discussions, the poster mentioned a 'violent' slap on the sun deck from wave action when at rest and said don't worry you'll get used to it. Of course now I can't find it.

Anybody remember seeing this? Send me a message if you know where I can find it.

Thanx

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Re: saw it in post

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » January 30th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Yeah, that was me. I have a 530 Voyager. The swimstep slaps so hard that it sends a shutter through the boat from stern to bow. I don't mind it so much now but it really bothered me early on.

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » January 31st, 2019, 4:01 pm

Under what condition does it happen? At the dock? When anchored? How often?

We had a couple instances this past season - we were anchored, people were swimming, some were on the swim platform and wake from a passing boat slammed hard into and onto the platform. Disconcerting to say the least.

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » January 31st, 2019, 7:30 pm

I would say that the worst case scenarios happen when I'm at rest in the open water when it's really flat and calm. A boat will pass in the distance and when the Wake sneaks up on us, there is a Thundurus and violent slap out of nowhere. It's very unnerving when I'm down below or anywhere else where I'm not able to see my surroundings. It always makes me think I drifted into a rock or just got hit by another boat. When I'm standing on the swim platform and looking forward, I can see the shutter go from Stern to Bow like a wave through the boat. It's at it's worst when I have full Fuel and water. My swim platform only clears the surface water by about an inch. Any rise and fall in the boat, or wave action, causes the slap. I've never experienced it in the harbor. It will happen occasionally on anchor if a boat goes by. I encounter this situation almost every time I go out.

rjr
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rjr » February 3rd, 2019, 3:50 pm

It astounds me that wave action can create that effect. Our platform is close to the surface as well. I'm going to check with other owners in the marina* to see if they've experienced this phenomenon.

*when the water gets soft.

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » February 3rd, 2019, 7:23 pm

It's inbound wave action that hits square on the stern. It doesn't slap if the wave is from any other direction. You can see how the water has nowhere to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 3rd, 2019, 8:06 pm

Alaska, I have been following along......Do you think it might be possible to make a triangular diverter to hang from the center of the platform when at anchor....maybe upset the wave form enough to keep it quiet...??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » February 3rd, 2019, 8:18 pm

I think that would work. I'd really like to do a hull extension out to the end of the factory platform. This would fix the slap issue as well as give me a new fish hold and storage. Move the tabs and thruster back. Come up like an inch on the bottom and run it up on a slight angle so it doesn't make contact while on plane so planing speed isn't compromised. Should also slightly increase hull speed for trawler speed. Would also give a better ride angle when at rest with full load. My guests complain about sliding to the foot of the VIP bed when I'm loaded heavy, haha!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 3rd, 2019, 8:31 pm

One of the guys here did that with a 3888 ......it worked out quite nicely, increased his waterline length about 3 feet and I don't remember exactly, but I believe he does not use the tabs now....had to put a bit of support to the original structure though.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » February 3rd, 2019, 8:39 pm

Had a 3 compartment 42 inch extension on my 4588 Bayliner. Loved it for fish and storage. Looked good too. I'll prob never do it to the 530, $$$... my big upgrade for this season will be the new katapult props I ordered. Thinking about AIS and update GPS next year.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”