Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Line and Net Cutter Systems

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Line and Net Cutter Systems

Postby denpooch » February 9th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Hey Folks. I am wondering if any of you have one of the line and net 'cutter systems' installed on you boat which help protect your running gear from fouling.
It seems to me that they can be very advantageous, although over the past many years of boating, I have only fouled my gear twice. First a lobster pot and second time a mooring line. The difference nowadays is that I am in no hurry to have to dive below and cut the stuff off of the shaft and prop.
Any thoughts?

United States of America
3dognight
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 530 Voyager With Volvo TAMD 122P EDC 610HP

Re: Line and Net Cutter Systems

Postby 3dognight » February 10th, 2019, 9:20 am

I have Spurs on my 530, installed by PO who said the worked great, Boat was based out of Boston and he ran it up and down the east coast. Very many Lobster pots in New England some im guessing they did their job
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

United States of America
Txcruiser
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 560 Voyager, Volvo D12

Postby Txcruiser » February 12th, 2019, 6:20 pm

I had them installed for a summer season I spent in the northeast. They worked one time but the other two events required a diver to cut the entanglement. After returning to Charleston I sold them to a bloke living in Maine. For me, I wouldn't add them if I return north.

United States of America
Keith S
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38 Super Sport

Postby Keith S » February 15th, 2019, 10:50 am

Spurs work well, but they are expensive. The installation is a little difficult, you need enough clearance behind the prop and the strut must be drilled and tapped. They also need routine service, the zincs need to be replaced, nylon bearings wear and need to be replaced. They need to be sharpened occasionally. I have seen the Shaft Shark units on a trawler, but the owner had not run into any lines to say if they worked. They look impressive though.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”