Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hot Muggy Nights

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Hot Muggy Nights

Postby denpooch » March 1st, 2019, 9:04 pm

Hey everyone. I would like to get an idea of how many folks run the genset all night when on a hook in horrendous heat. I have read all sorts of stuff, some saying they would only run diesel at night. Others state that as long as engine room exhaust is opposite intake, running gasoline generator is fine. Many people will not run anything mechanical at night; the category in which I currently fall. I did notice that Hans has a removable ceiling electric fan that seems like it would help.
What say you?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Hot Muggy Nights

Postby tomschauer » March 1st, 2019, 10:48 pm

We normally anchor in a raft of several boats, so when we do this you cant run gennys, as you don't want to kill your neighbor or have your neighbor kill you with the CO. When anchored alone and running the genny on very hot and muggy nights. with the Co and smoke detectors, I am not to worried about safety, but my genny even with the insulated sound shield still makes enough noise that I cant sleep well. So on the really hot and muggy nights with no breeze predicted, we make our way to the slip to plug in.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 2nd, 2019, 3:34 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post We normally anchor in a raft of several boats, so when we do this you cant run gennys, as you don't want to kill your neighbor or have your neighbor kill you with the CO. When anchored alone and running the genny on very hot and muggy nights. with the Co and smoke detectors, I am not to worried about safety, but my genny even with the insulated sound shield still makes enough noise that I cant sleep well. So on the really hot and muggy nights with no breeze predicted, we make our way to the slip to plug in.

I adjust the same way, nothing worse than 100% humidity and no air. Not that it happens very often but when it does a reservation at the closest marina is also my choice. I could and have run the genny but then again it is diesel. Any fan makes quite a differance. Before the ceiling fan I used those portable shop fans made by ryobi or ridgid. Still have the Ryobi on board as it does come in handy positioning it as needed. Tend to use it on the dash sometimes on those scorcher days. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Vo ... /205022215
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 2nd, 2019, 11:21 am

Hans - how long does that RYOBI fan run on a battery? I have One+ tools, with several batteries. The portable vacuum seems to run through the batteries pretty quick.
Topic - I do not have a generator. The way I deal with hot/muggy nights is 1. go to a marina or 2. think about our current weather condition, and embrace the hot/muggy feeling. We got another 5" snow last night, and expecting another significant amount when the storm in the West coast makes it's way here. Please make it stop!!! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 2nd, 2019, 11:54 am

When I first read the title I thought it was about street racing.. :-D .

Seriously though I would never run a fuel ( gas or diesel ) fired generator whilst asleep, ever..... with one exception, that would be if it was one of the new diesel ones with all the pollution control stuff on it and that installed in my new Mega Yacht. When it gets that hot, we are tied up to shore power or go home.. ( we're old now )..... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 2nd, 2019, 1:08 pm

how long does that RYOBI fan run on a battery?

A 4ah will go all night and then some. Really pretty darn good if you ask me.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » March 2nd, 2019, 3:14 pm

Hans that RYOBI fan looks very good for the price. Does not draw the house battery which is also a plus. It would be nice if they came in a more 'friendly' color scheme.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 2nd, 2019, 3:32 pm

I agree the color kinda sucks but at least it is easy to find. Think of it as a fan with a safety vest :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » March 4th, 2019, 10:22 am

We should all have CO detectors/alarms in sleeping areas. I don't like to run the genny when asleep, but will run it before going to sleep to get the cabin cool and knock the humidity down. I think you would be OK running it (especially a low CO model) on the hook with two active CO detectors and a properly installed genset - but better safe than sorry.

Here in the south, it can be an issue in the late summer - we have water temps in the upper 80s to low 90s - so you don't get any cooling through the hull or off the water. We don't get a lot of them, but a hot, still night in August can be a time when you want to have A/C working. Maybe stay in the marina on those nights?
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Return to “General Boating Discussion”