Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Is there really a difference between anchors?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Re: Is there really a difference between anchors?

Postby amanphoto » March 21st, 2019, 6:20 am

It’s a sailboat but it’s really windy. I guess I’m going with a mantus. Don’t love the look of the bolts, but performance over looks.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » March 21st, 2019, 8:54 am

Has anyone experience with the Vulcan? Made bu Rocna

http://rocna.cmpgroup.net/vulcan

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 21st, 2019, 9:01 am

No experience with it but have researched it in the past. The Vulcan came to be because there is a demand for anchors without roll bars since not all pulpits can except a roll bar. That being said I honestly believe a roll bar is the best at getting the anchor to sit right side up. A non roll bar anchor is just that and will be slightly compromised. I am no expert by any stretch, just my honest opinion. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 21st, 2019, 9:32 am

denpooch wrote:Source of the post I went with a 45 lb. I would feel comfortable in winds up to about 45 knots. Mantus states their sizing is conservative.

Den.....looks good...looks like the small mod there keeps the anchor point from contacting the bow when the anchor is parked, yes. If you pull the anchor all the way onto the roller like the original plow, does it contact the bow ?
Again, how heavy was the plow you replaced as we have a fairly large one, may be upsized, not really sure.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » March 21st, 2019, 5:36 pm

Hey Bud. Yes the anchormate keeps it from both hitting the bow as well as eliminating any rocking around when seated in place. It's a good gadget. If you look at my images, the 45 is seated in it's 'full back' position and still clears the bow. In this position I am tying off the anchor to the cleat just aft of the Mantus swivel on the chain rode. What you see is the 45 sitting just about where it likes to be when dry.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 22nd, 2019, 10:59 pm

amanphoto wrote:Source of the post
RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post I have a Delta Plow on my Carver. It has been a great anchor so far. Have pretty much used Danforth styled anchors before. While I had no issues with that style too I think the plow is a better anchor. Mine has not failed to grab yet on the first try. Are other styles better? Perhaps but I am very satisfied with my plow.

I’m not saying that plows don’t work. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be on so many boats. If I’m going to replace my anchor, I’m going to replace it with something that works better.

Currently I have a 22 lb plow style with 120’ of chain. Hit holds. But I don’t trust it. It’s undersized for the size of the boat (Mariner 350).

As a side note, My previous boat (25’ Monterey) had a 13 lb fortress style anchor on it. It was able to hold that boat and a 40’ Sulverton with minimum drag during a raft up. That anchor was a little finicky to set and always came up dirty. The plow anchor always comes up clean.

And of course I am not saying that the Delta Plow is the best anchor. Good friends of mine love their Bruce. It has held in some serious conditions as has my plow. I also do not have a windless so I have to use brute force to pull my anchor. If I were to use one of the other perhaps better holding anchors I may not be able to break it free.

Last summer I was anchored in School House Bay near Middle Bass Island Ohio. When it came time for me to leave I could not break the anchor free from the bottom. I motored forward till I was right over the anchor and fortunately another boat cruised by on plane and their wake broke my anchor free from the bottom. If not for them I may still be there. It does hold and seems to hold well.

All that really matters is does you anchor hold when it needs to. If it does that is all that really matters at least to me. Prior to this anchor I had always used Danforth or Danforth styled anchors and never had an issue. I do believe though that the Delta Plow is a better anchor based on my usage over the years. If I ever get another boat I may very well try one of the other brands mentioned so far in this thread as they are getting great reviews here.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 23rd, 2019, 9:38 pm

Rick, I have had many (most of my boats) boats without a windless. No need to use brute force. Pull you boat within 50' or closer depending on water depth, the shallower the closer, spin your boat to the opposite direction of anchor set, tap both engines in reverse for a second, anchor is free. Pull it in and be on your way!

Return to “General Boating Discussion”