Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anchor and chain

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Anchor and chain

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 23rd, 2019, 2:54 pm

I have a 1994 390CPMY with a Lewmar Profish 1000 free fall windlass. I got free rode with it, 200' 8 plait and 15' 5/16" chain. In my opinion, not enough. I just scored at West Marine for 300' 8 plait 5/8" and 15' chain. I am not comfortable with that amount of chain. I was thinking of having say 50' or 75' of chain spliced on, rather than what is there. Any opinions? I know the scope to depth ratio, but just think I need more chain. I had thought of 300' chain, but the co$t and weight have deterred me. opinions please?
Thanks!
Tony

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Anchor and chain

Postby Midnightsun » March 23rd, 2019, 3:39 pm

If you want to combo then 50' is sufficient IMHO. Gives a good amount of weight close to the anchor to keep the scope down and you get the benefit of tying off to the rope once you are past the 50' mark which is quiet and has some give. Best of both worlds so to say. Also really helps as you know exactly when you have deployed 50'. There is also a safety side when you have rope as it can be cut easily in an emergency, chain? not so easy. Mine came with all chain but if I had to do it from scratch I would go with chain/rope combo as I suggested.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 23rd, 2019, 5:06 pm

We have had both, all chain...... and rope with 15 or 20 feet of chain, cant quite remember exactly..Anyway , never had any issues with the rope/chain...worked just fine, quiet and I like the idea of a little stretch. The all chain is probably what most cruisers would recommend, but I think the 20ft of chain would be enough to keep any chafing from the bottom away.

If I had to choose, for where we are now, the rope/ chain would be fine, the chain better but I would not change one for the other for the sake of it. I really don't think there is enough weight difference to matter in the locker.If the makers gypsy is designed for a certain size chain and rode I would stick to it.

It will be interesting to hear from some salt water guys as we dont hang from the hook all that frequently.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 23rd, 2019, 9:18 pm

How deep is the water you anchor in? We anchor in pretty shallow water, 4 -20' so I have no problem with my 25' of chain. If I was in 50-75' I would like at least 50' of chain.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » March 24th, 2019, 9:05 pm

My previous boat was a 1989 Wellcraft 34' Express Cruiser. The boat weighted about 14K lbs. I had about 10 ft. chain, a bunch of line with a danford style anchor. Did a great job and always held. Now I have an 18k pound boat with 150 ft of 5/16" chain and a 45 lb anchor. (The vessel came with a 35 pounder) and it does a great job and always holds.
She is a bit bow heavy but that's what it is. I am not planning to cut half of the chain and splice in anchor line to save the weight. That in my mind would be a step backwards.
I guess I will have to keep a bit more fuel on board!

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » April 6th, 2019, 5:37 pm

I got 300' of 5/8" 8 plait, and bought 90' of 5/16" chain at DEFENDER, and had it spliced. SO I now have 390' of rode. I usually anchor in 30 to 40' of water, but if we do an overnight, then it will be in the 15 to 20' range. SO with just the chain out I will feel a lot more secure. Heavy stuff, I might add!

Return to “General Boating Discussion”