Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Yamaha 4 hp 4 stroke

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Great Britain
Peter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 38ss 2007

Yamaha 4 hp 4 stroke

Postby Peter » April 24th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Hi all
Ive been having starting problems with my tender outboard .
Changed plug etc etc all made no difference then checked oil it was low so filled up & bingo it starts :banghead:
Great but nowhere can i find in the msnual etc anything about a oil safety switch so before i take the tender back out & break down again was the low oil just a coicidence & i still have a problem or ?......

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Yamaha 4 hp 4 stroke

Postby pepmyster » April 24th, 2019, 4:26 pm

It's there as a safety. Is this new to you? Have you ever changed the oil in it? Has you ever leaned it the wrong way on the ground and you lost it's oil. Either way, Yamahas are not known to burn oil. Just low or it's past it's time for an oil change.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 24th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Not sure on the Yamaha, but on most other small outboard you can have a problem with overfilling the oil too. The oil gets foamy and causes the oil pressure switch to sense a loss of pressure, resulting in intermittent spark.

Topic author Great Britain
Peter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 38ss 2007

Postby Peter » April 25th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Yes its new to me
Yes it was leant on its wrong side
Yes it was low on oil :banghead:
Seems to be ok now & by reading your replies i prwsume it does have an oil switch its just the manual doesnt show one ?

Return to “General Boating Discussion”