Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Drilling thru a thick swim platform

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
spsu00
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 410 Super Sport

Drilling thru a thick swim platform

Postby spsu00 » April 27th, 2019, 7:57 am

We bought the Hurley H3O David system to install on our Carver 410. We are having to use the Davit extension and it requires "8"
Holes be drilled they the swim platform for the bolts. The swim platform on our boat where we need to drill is almost 10" thick. Does anyone know if this swim platform is hollow core ? Is there anything I should look for before I start drilling or any advice on drilling?
Monica

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Drilling thru a thick swim platform

Postby bud37 » April 27th, 2019, 12:17 pm

You should add the year of your boat to your info...... Now if it were me I would call Carver with the hull # and find out what is in that space if anything, even after that, I would crawl down there and look for myself.

Hopefully someone with the the same year/ model can chime in......good luck with your project.. :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
darrenlife
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sport Sedan

Postby darrenlife » April 27th, 2019, 4:23 pm

I have a 2001 but unfortunately I can definitively say one way or the other. I’ll be in my bilge tomorrow and will see if I can figure it out but I agree that phoning Carver to confirm is the safest bet

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 28th, 2019, 8:08 pm

I can't imagine that the platform would actually be 10" thick. I'll bet it has a top and bottom and it's open in between.

But that's just a guess.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » April 29th, 2019, 3:49 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post I can't imagine that the platform would actually be 10" thick. I'll bet it has a top and bottom and it's open in between.

But that's just a guess.

I agree. My last boat a Bayliner 3055 Ciera had a hollow swim platform. When the two halves of the boat were joined together it formed the swim platform. Could have stored some stuff inside mine if I had chosen to do so. But, it being a stern drive I chose not to add any additional weight at the stern.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » April 29th, 2019, 12:25 pm

I am in the process of installing a Sea Weed davit system on the swim platform of my 2006 44 CMY. The swim platform is made of two layers of laminated fibreglass with a one inch thick balsa core sandwiched in between. I have access to the lower part of the swim platform from the bildge area under my cockpit floor. It is hard to believe your swim platform would be 10 inches thick. There must be a void under the top surface of your platform and the hull. In my instance, I plan on drilling over sized holes(1/4" larger) through the deck and removing 1/4 " more balsa core in-between the 2 fibreglass layers. I will then fill with Six10 epoxy and let it harden. I will drill out a 5/16" hole in the hardened epoxy to accommodate the 1/4" through bolts. I am sealing with 3M 4200 as well. I don't want to run the risk of water intrusion into the core, as it will wick and destroy the platform. The epoxy plug also will give a better compression factor between the backing plates and the hardware than the balsa core on its own. I assisted a friend in installing the system you have and the holes must be very precise or the upper plate will not slide on and off. Hope this helps you.

As stated by bud37, if you can't get access and see what's going on under your swim platform, Carver will know how that's put together, 1-920-822-3214 and ask for Brian. He's very helpful and can pull up your plans.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » April 29th, 2019, 2:29 pm

I have looked at what I BTB a pic of your boat. Your platform and mine are structured the same. You should be able to access the void between your swim platform and the hull through your access door on your cockpit floor.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 29th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Ya pretty sure you have a hollow platform.

Topic author United States of America
spsu00
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 410 Super Sport

Postby spsu00 » May 8th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Thanks everyone....it was hollow. We ended up adding an access and using nuts and bolts with epoxy. Seems to be holding well.
Monica

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 8th, 2019, 7:57 pm

:down:

Return to “General Boating Discussion”