Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

12' Inflatable Dinghy or 14' Jet Boat?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

12' Inflatable Dinghy or 14' Jet Boat?

Postby RobGunn » June 5th, 2019, 11:14 am

OK, just putting this out there to get others option. We've been thinking of getting a Inflatable dinghy to use around the marina and tow behind our Carver 3607 when we go out on the big lake (Lake Michigan). Everyone I know that has had a inflatable tells me that eventually it will lose air and have issues. Recently I have found that I can pick up a number of different 3-place 14' jet boats in the area for reasonable pricing. No deflation issues and a whole lot more Horse Power with a Jet Boat. Question is, does it make sense to lean toward a 14' jet boat and think that I could tow it behind the 3607 carver as one would do with a Inflatable dinghy?

United States of America
mobinakhtar
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2003 Viking Princess 65
1988 Carver 3207 Convertible
1971 Hatteras 38 Convertible
2005 Boston Whaler 15 Montauk

Re: 12' Inflatable Dinghy or 14' Jet Boat?

Postby mobinakhtar » June 5th, 2019, 4:58 pm

I think it's not possible to hang a 14 ft jet boat (I have one and they're heavy for what they are). My 396 max load on the aft swim platform is rated at 600lbs MAX. I guess the only other thing that might fit other than an inflatable is a portabote 12footer made of kevlar and weighs next to nothing. rated for 5hp and takes 3-4 ppl.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 6th, 2019, 1:37 am

If you do go the jetboat route make sure it can be towed. Some can be and some can't.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » June 6th, 2019, 6:20 am

I have a 14 foot Zodiak with a 30hp, hard bottom. My goal this summer is towing in the back. Should be very easy to tow but there is no way I'll put the boat on plane while towing this size dingy.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 6th, 2019, 8:43 am

Can't imagine how you could beat a RIB with an outboard for ease of ownership, they are light, easy to tow or hang in davits, easy to beach, store, very little maintenance and so far I have never had a problem with air in the tubes. Also you can run into the mothership without taking out a piece of gelcoat... :-D
Now the jetboat...heavy, heavy and has to be maintained, which could include mechanics.You ain't hangin one of these in davits......fun though. This is assuming you are meaning jetboat and not a jet ski...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Not sure about Lake Michigan, but a jet boat can beat you to a pulp, whereas a RIB can be a comfortable ride. However, the difference might be that the jet boat might be doing (or wanting to do) 40 or 50 mph where the RIB might be closer to 20-25.

You can tow any jet, but you might have to put a shutoff valve on the water cooling just like you do a PWC.

If you get a newer inflatable the leaks certainly can be manageable or pretty much non-existant. I have a 14 year old one (SIB) and the main tubes will hold air for weeks without an issue but I have to reinflate the keel every few days.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”