Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cleaning the Engine Compartment

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Cleaning the Engine Compartment

Postby denpooch » August 4th, 2019, 11:40 am

Hey folks. I would like to know how you go about degreasing and cleaning your engine compartment. She is looking a bit grungy. Thanks for your comments.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Cleaning the Engine Compartment

Postby mjk1040 » August 5th, 2019, 6:49 am

Dawn dish soap works well. And there are bilge cleaners with fresh odor smell out there too! You want something biodegradable so you can pump it overboard. Do a google search for bilge cleaners.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 5th, 2019, 11:05 am

There's a variety of cleaners out there. I wouldn't worry too much about picking a biodegradable one though as it's likely there's nothing biodegradable about the stuff already in your bilge so it should be disposed of properly anyway. Just remember though that you're working with the cleaner in a confined space and anything really harsh can be a health concern. Before you get started, ask the marina if they have a collection tank for such waste, a lot of them do. Then vacuum up what you clean and dispose of it there.

If you're talking about the bilge and you have heavy caked on stuff, I've found regular mechanic's hand cleaner with pumas does an excellent job of cleaning and breaking through thick gunk, and the boat will smell like oranges! Do a little area at a time, rinse with a hose, then vacuum. Don't wait too long to vacuum or the bilge pump will pump it overboard which can be a red flag to others if it results in an oil slick. Have a few empty 5 gallon pails to dump the vacuum contents. A few different lengths of brushes and some scouring pads really helps get into hard to reach spots. Oh, and a case of bear helps too. :beergood:

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » August 5th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Thanks. You guys don't do anything with the engines themselves...correct?
I did read in the crusader manual that they should be coated with WD40 periodically.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 6th, 2019, 6:36 am

I never saw that in the manual, but since you are in salt water it may not be a bad idea. But then you may get some smell when the hot areas warm up the WD-40?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “General Boating Discussion”