Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Throttle Synchronizer

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
jmm48m60
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002, carver 356 aft cabin, Crusader engs, hurth transmissions
BOAT NAME 'TANKRR'

Throttle Synchronizer

Postby jmm48m60 » September 1st, 2019, 12:20 pm

I have a 2002 Carver 356 aft cabin, with Crusader engines. Boat has a sync gauge which at a speed ex: 2500 rpm or any rpm on both tachometers the sync gauge indicates much more starboard … any thoughts

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Throttle Synchronizer

Postby RGrew176 » September 2nd, 2019, 1:27 am

The sync gauge on my 3007 does the same thing. I use the tach's and the sound of the engines to know when they are in sync. I have only owned 3 twin engine boats and I have always coordinated the sound of the engines and the tachometers to gauge when they were in sync.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 2nd, 2019, 7:48 am

Check your connections/plugs at the tachs and synch gauges. If they use plugs, check the pins for corrosion. The synch gauge is likely getting signals off the back of the tachs. Could be a faulty gauge, or the culprit may in fact be one of the tachs not reading correctly and making you think it's the synch that's off instead. If your application uses analog signal gauges, look for a little cylinder selection rotary switch on the back of the tachs. Their contacts tend to corrode internally over time and give false readings. Take note of the position the switch is pointing to, then turn the switch back and forth several times. This sweeping helps clean the contacts internally. Don't force the switch to turn, if you feel some resistance, try depressing the switch a bit as that is required on some brands before you can turn them. Then return the switch to the position it was in when you started and test.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » September 2nd, 2019, 2:39 pm

I have the same issue with my 2005. I installed a new module hoping that it would function properly. When installing, if I removed one of the wires of the old unit, I would lose the rudder indicator which is on the same instrument. So I left that wire from the old unit in place and added the new module . Low and behold, it is accurate up to about 1500rpm. Anything over that, it ain't worth nothin so I go ahead and use Admiral Grew's technique.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » September 2nd, 2019, 7:49 pm

Interesting, master mechanic advised me a while ago to go by the sync and not the tach's?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 2nd, 2019, 10:05 pm

The tachs will get you in the same range if they're working right but even when they are, unless they're a digital readout off an ECM an analog sweep utilizes an electric/mechanical mechanism that can be off by several rpm. The only way to tell for sure if they're right is to check rpm at the engine either through ignition, optical reading, or the ECM. A sync gauge while it may typically get it's signal piggybacked off the tachs, it's independent of the tach readings and what they're actually showing which is a good thing if the tach reading is slightly off due to internal or external influences. If your tachs are off, then it can be said that the sync is the gauge to go by but that's contingent on it working properly as well. With experience though, your ears can get you pretty close but it's nice to have a visual backup.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 3rd, 2019, 10:47 am

If all connection are good replace the little black box that is your sync module.

United States of America
VILLAGE
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 carver 570 voyager with Volvo Penta Diesel

Postby VILLAGE » July 21st, 2023, 9:53 am

So, were do you get a replacement sync module?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 21st, 2023, 12:03 pm

Welcome to the forum......I see you have diesels.....different animal.

FWIW...engine loading, wind/waves/current will throw the sync off as well as the engine rpms rise and fall.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”