Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cleaning your Motors

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
golgi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Cleaning your Motors

Postby golgi » September 12th, 2019, 10:20 am

I'm curious what process or strategy you guys use to clean your motors. I need to do a deep clean on my Volvo TAMD74-P EDC's before touching up the paint. My plan is:

Cover EDC with plastic shower cap
Spray motor liberally with degreaser
Use a soft brush and warm water containing Dawn
Rinse with mist from garden hose sprayer
Shop vac any standing water immediately
Allow to air dry

Any one see a problem with this or have a better idea?

Thanks!

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Cleaning your Motors

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » September 12th, 2019, 1:01 pm

I just did the same thing. If you search you can see my pictures I posted under "engine room makeover". I actually ended up painting over the dirty motors for the most part. Cleaning became too tedious. I had tried several different cleaners and degreasers. I believe that Simple Green worked the best. I used tinfoil to wrap hoses and cables and harnesses before I painted. I definitely recommend using the tinfoil, it worked fantastic. Good luck, Dave.

golgi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby golgi » September 12th, 2019, 3:58 pm

That's phenomenal! How hard was the bilge painting or did it clean up that well? I will definitely be using the aluminum foil trick!

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » September 12th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I used the same paint on everything. It covers perfectly. I just made sure to wipe off any wet oil from the motors and just wiped the bilge area with a dry rag. I'll attach a pic of the paint I used. I brushed everything, no spraying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

golgi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby golgi » September 12th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Thanks! I already purchased the Volvo Penta paint so I'll probably still spray the motors out. But I think I'll consider this for the bilges!

Return to “General Boating Discussion”