Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel Degradation Ethanol vs Non Ethanol vs Stabilizer

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Re: Fuel Degradation Ethanol vs Non Ethanol vs Stabilizer

Postby Craig_B » October 30th, 2019, 10:04 am

Project Farm is a great You Tube channel I have been subscribed to his channel for quite some time.
Always very interesting.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 30th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post What is the consensus on Diesel? I know there is no ethanol however is it as sensitive to time as gasoline? I do add diesel stabilizer however after watching this on gas I wonder how effective it really is.

Diesel is much more stable than gasoline, as it doesn't contain nearly as much of the lighter elements. The issue with diesel can be algae growth. If properly treated for that, then it can last years.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 30th, 2019, 7:24 pm

The 30 day rule also applies to diesel. Again, it starts to degrade as soon as it leaves the refinery. Like engine oils, oxidization is the enemy and good stabilizers are a means to slow that process down and extend the fuel's longevity. Will an engine run on old diesel? sure, but not as efficiently and is likely to contain water which in a high pressure system will start blowing injector tips off, contain. Oil companies will say that quality additives in their diesel allow for storage from 6 months to a year but that is in ideal conditions and is dependent on the supplier's practices as well. There are diesel blends now that you may not know you're getting. These biodiesel formulations contain a percentage of water to begin with so you could be fighting the water problem right from the beginning. The best defense is use the fuel up quickly and check your water separators often. And don't forget to use a biocide a couple of times a year to prevent microbial growth.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 30th, 2019, 9:00 pm

I have pretty much been in the school of filling the tank(s) prior to winter. This is my preference with inboard or I/O boats. The only exception to that for me is with an outboard powered boat. I generally run the motor till it stalls out from lack of fuel then any gas in the tanks I will run through other engines.

Since i have full or almost full tanks come spring I feel that with the full tanks you pull in less moisture. I could be wrong. But this has worked for me for over 50 years of boating. As far as fuel sitting in the marina gas tanks all winter I agree that is a possibility. I never top off in the spring until I have seen at least one delivery of new fuel, preferably two deliveries.

Again, most of the marinas in my area carry non ethanol fuel so purchasing fuel without ethanol is easy here. My boat is an 81 and the owners manual clearly states not to use a blended fuel in my boat. Of course back in 81 they used the term gasohol.

I think if it gets to the point where ethanol free gasoline is no longer available my boating days would probably end. I know that the newer boats can burn blended fuel but I would prefer to keep to the non=blended fuels.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 31st, 2019, 5:12 am

A little off topic but I do buy my small engine gas (snowblower, lawn mower, weed eater) at Petro Canada. Why, because their 91 octane states "no ehanol". Other wise they all say "may contain ethanol" I prefer to know it has none as opposed to maybe as this gas usually hangs around for a while, I doo always add stabill when I fill up my jug as a precaution.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 31st, 2019, 11:24 am

Well, considering all this the Admiral and I are going to sell our boat to get a Voyager.

Canoe that is..... :-D .. :lol:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 31st, 2019, 9:06 pm

I forgot in my post above that I add more than enough stabilizer when I put the boat up for the winter. I have twin 86 gallon tanks and I put in enough stabilizer for 100 gallons. Not sure if it helps the fuel at all but it seems to have worked for me for many years.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Laserbait
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Mariner 3697

Postby Laserbait » January 18th, 2020, 5:03 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post What is the consensus on Diesel? I know there is no ethanol however is it as sensitive to time as gasoline? I do add diesel stabilizer however after watching this on gas I wonder how effective it really is.

I know BioDiesel has it's own problems with organisms growing in it and clogging filters, tanks and pumps. There is a polishing process that I have heard people having to go through to clean the fuel and get the crap (literally) out of the tanks.

--Joseph
1988 Carver Mariner 3697
Port of Stillwater, MN

United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » July 22nd, 2021, 3:05 pm

I just paid $1100 to have my fuel tanks emptied out because of bad fuel and some water in the fuel.

The guy that did the work, told me that i should not use fuel stabilizer and that i should only fill up a little bit at a time.

So if i put about 25 gallons of fuel in each tank, and run each tank low and then go add 25 to each tank again, maybe this will work?

We only have time to use the boat about once a week. I am know unsure of whether i should take this guys advice and not add any fuel stabilizer, or if i should add a little with each fill up.

What is your opinion on fuel stabilizer during the season, or not?
Thanks,
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 22nd, 2021, 3:40 pm

Petemait wrote:Source of the post What is your opinion on fuel stabilizer during the season, or not?

Do you have in your area someone ( mobile fuel truck ), that would deliver fuel to your boat at some location......maybe that way you could get the premium fuel with no alcohol/ethanol if it is still available and that would help in this case.

Did the fresh fuel help ??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”