Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What lesson did you learn this boating season?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Re: What lesson did you learn this boating season?

Postby CaptBob » November 14th, 2019, 9:36 am

I went from a Cruisers 280 to my 360SS. At first, it did feel like a monster. However the 8.1's will move it, and doing things slow and with grace make it a thing of beauty. Sight line when backing in is a bit limited, I would just sight down port through the steps, and the swim platform, and bring that side in real close. The Admiral would watch the starboard and continually tell me I had plenty of room over there. One time a dockmate fell onto a swim platform and into the water a couple of slips down (lots of noise and noisy splashing) I shut her down real quick, thinking I had run over a kayak or something. I could always come in clean and neat as long as no one was watching. If someone was watching (or worse, helping) I turned into Capt Crunch!

We are on a downsizing trend. We want to be able to be more mobile and move the boat to other bodies of water. We have a fair amount of land locked lakes here in the middle Tennessee area. While I miss the big boat (Admiral had had her fill of cleaning it) we had a fairly good summer on a SeaRay SLX300. My lessons from the season, is to follow the mission plan, and don't let the emotions get in the way. While the 300 is a very pretty, really nice boat (twin 350, axius drives, head, 9K lbs) it is not a throw it on the trailer and let's pop over there kind of ride. We did burn up our lake (it will do 50+) and that was nice, but we are still looking on dropping another couple of feet. (probably 23 ish) Seems about right, we went up in increments, I suppose we can come down in increments also.
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

United States of America
Laserbait
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Mariner 3697

Postby Laserbait » November 23rd, 2019, 4:05 pm

This was my first season as a boat owner, and the '88 36' Mariner is a great 1st timers boat! I was really lucky to have several friends that have a lot of boating experience, so I learned TONS of new things and got a lot of experience.

1: DON'T put absolute faith in the blackwater tank monitor! (I can't stress this enough! :banghead:)
2: DO Make sure that all of the drains in the cockpit are clear!
3: When putting a RIB/dinghy on the swim platform, make sure the motor and gas can stay in the cockpit when underway!
4: The engine hatches are directional, make sure the gasket matches the mating surface, relates to #2!
5: Try and leave yourself enough room to maneuver, current and wind come out without warning - think several steps ahead!
--Joseph
1988 Carver Mariner 3697
Port of Stillwater, MN

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » November 23rd, 2019, 5:08 pm

Joe I tip my hat to you. It is likely that you are one of the few boaters in this world who 'started out' with a 36 footer for your first. Very impressive my friend!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 24th, 2019, 4:41 am

Still trying to think of something I learned this season. Maybe something will come to mind.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “General Boating Discussion”