Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Recommend me a TV/DVD for a boat...

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Recommend me a TV/DVD for a boat...

Postby buster53 » December 5th, 2019, 4:27 pm

We bought a smart TV for our boat (just about any brand will do fine). We did use our phone as a hot spot because the marina wifi was very slow. Yes, we used a lot of data, but it wasn't that much more expensive to go with unlimited data. This past spring, the marina upgraded their wifi so we are able to use it

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » December 7th, 2019, 2:01 pm

The WiFi at our marina is terrible at our slip and probably not strong enough to stream anyway, where it is good.

Just curious buster53. Is an unlimited data package available for your cell phones in the US? If so, if you don't mind, what would a monthly fee for that be. I have that at my house, but I don't even think it is available for cell phones in Canada. If it is, I haven't found it yet.

Greg

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » December 7th, 2019, 11:09 pm

Tireless wrote:The WiFi at our marina is terrible at our slip and probably not strong enough to stream anyway, where it is good.

Just curious buster53. Is an unlimited data package available for your cell phones in the US? If so, if you don't mind, what would a monthly fee for that be. I have that at my house, but I don't even think it is available for cell phones in Canada. If it is, I haven't found it yet.

Greg

Greg, we have Verizon family plan - 3 phones on one plan. Works good for us, with 3 phones, we never have to worry about going over our data limit.
Anyway, I have no idea how this would work in Canada but my Wife and I were In Halifax on a cruise a year ago and seems we were able to use our phone and data just fine and didn't have any additional charges.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » December 7th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Tireless wrote:The WiFi at our marina is terrible at our slip and probably not strong enough to stream anyway, where it is good.

Greg

Greg, we have Verizon family plan - 3 phones on one plan. Works good for us, with 3 phones, we never have to worry about going over our data limit.
Anyway, I have no idea how this would work in Canada but my Wife and I were In Halifax on a cruise a year ago and seems we were able to use our phone and data just fine and didn't have any additional charges.
Not at home at the moment to look, but seems my bill is in the $250 range, but again, that is 3 smart phones on it and it is nice that the 3 of us have unlimited data.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”