Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Recommend me a TV/DVD for a boat...

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Jain
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Recommend me a TV/DVD for a boat...

Postby Jain » December 3rd, 2019, 7:35 am

Right, before I get a flaming for not just indulging in the lost art of conversation over a nice bottle of red instead, the only likely programmes viewed on this TV are likely to be In The Night Garden, Postman Pat, Fireman Sam and Thomas the Tank Engine. OK, and maybe Top Gear possibly.

However if anyone can recommend me a TV with the following attributes, I'd be grateful...

Bulkhead mounting
Durable, not going to break on a boat
12V/240V options
Some kind of built in aerial or solution that does not involve the effort and expense of a masthead dish thing
Built in DVD or ideally Blu-Ray player (for Thomas and the Dinosaurs DVD)
Headphone port (so I don't need to listen to Ringo Starr's dulcet tones)
Compact...around the 20" mark should be fine

Thanks in advance!

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Re: Recommend me a TV/DVD for a boat...

Postby CYO Admin » December 3rd, 2019, 7:43 am

Jain wrote:Source of the post Right, before I get a flaming for not just indulging in the lost art of conversation over a nice bottle of red instead

Yeah, we don't do that here. Welcome to the best boating forum on the www :)

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » December 3rd, 2019, 1:31 pm

Most any LED TV with the DVR meets your spec. except the 240volt and built in antenna part. They all have the mounting holes on the rear, so you can bulkhead mount. Most are 120v with a transformer to 12vdc. A European model may be 240v- 12vdc. I don't know about the head phone jack, but a smart tv will have Bluetooth, so you can use BT headphones. I doubt you will find any sort of built in antenna, and if so I would think it would be useless anyway unless you were docked next to a broadcast antenna. You can buy some pretty small amplified antennas that will work indoors.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » December 3rd, 2019, 4:29 pm

Personally, I would not recommend a built-in DVD player. You'll get a much better unit if you get an external, and it's easy/cheap to get an external one with Blu-Ray.

I do have a combo unit in our aft cabin and we constantly have issues with playing some DVDs that will play fine on other units.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » December 3rd, 2019, 4:57 pm

X2 on separate units - more flexibility and better quality than an all-in-one. I would go with a Samsung TV with a separate amplified antenna and a Sony 6700 BluRay player. I've used Samsung flat screens on my boats and found them very durable - buy a mount that suits your needs. I have one with an arm that swivels out into the rear sliding door if I want to watch from the cockpit instead of the salon.

The Sony 6700 is nice and also has very good WiFi capabilities and built-in Netflix and cast capabilities - it's quite small and you can use it either horizontally or vertically.

There are some nice flat digital amplified antennas out there for about $25 you can mount almost anywhere - check Amazon or somewhere and see what you like. The omni-directional amped antennas work better on boats IMHO.

Most electronics today use 12 VDC base voltage with a switching power supply so you can run 120 or 240 - but check first and you may need a new plug.

Good luck and enjoy the show! :popcorn:
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » December 3rd, 2019, 6:02 pm

I have nothing to add to what's been stated, except, Welcome Aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » December 3rd, 2019, 6:35 pm

I went with a Samsung 32".
Also mounted one of these behind the tv/bulkhead. Works well on the hook. Smart feature makes it work very well in a marina. Good hunting:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=indoor+hd+an ... _sb_noss_1

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 3rd, 2019, 7:26 pm

Oddly enough, Harbor Freight has a number of mounting brackets at great prices. A bracket that turns and spins allows you to mount in one place but watch from several seating angles. I also agree with getting separate units. I bought one with a DVD player included, but it struggles with many DVD's.
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » December 4th, 2019, 5:22 pm

OK, let's talk about the 240v option. You don't say what boat you have, so I can only guess...you may plug into 240v shorepower, but most likely, it is split into 2 circuits of 120v each. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt that all your electrical outlets are 240v.
Again, depending on what boat you have, even the appliances (AC's, stove) may even be 120v. Even if you have a bigger boat with major appliances needing 240v, your outlets will still be 120v.

I suggest adding your boat model, year, length, to your profile. Cuts out a lot of the guess work.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » December 5th, 2019, 11:49 am

My boat is 240 from the shore. Everything runs on 120, buster53 raises a good point. Any TV will do, just pick make, model and size.

As for a source, I have cable at the dock and I also use wifi and connect iPad to the TV to get Netflix. Some folks are using wifi and a streaming device and watch everything they need. A popular streaming device up here is a Red Rhino. Just not a great idea to use cell phone as a hot spot for watching television, uses a lot of data. I also have a digital antenna on the boat and that gives me 3 channels, if I was closer to a major centre I would probably get more. These antennas are not expensive.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”