Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Distressing news Marquis/Carver

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Distressing news Marquis/Carver

Postby Cooler » February 1st, 2020, 1:39 pm

Unfortunately, Marquis/Carver has announced a temporary shut down of operations, effective March 1. The company has been for sale after the passing of previous owner. There was a sale in progress but that buyer pulled out at the last minute. Search for buyer continues. 344 employees are impacted, but it is anticipated this shut down is temporary and short. It may not happen at all if a new buyer enters the transaction soon. First, let's cross fingers, send prayers and hope something positive happens quickly. The company and staff is passionately committed to the industry, as well as all of us owners. A lot of us had great interaction with the top notch talent there. Second, if there is anything you need from Carver, contact them asap. Have not heard if there will be a skeleton crew to field inquiries. Finally, if there are any Carver impacted employees reading this, especially from the detailing department, PM or email me via this site. Because of the timing of this event, I could connect you with some owners looking for help with season prep projects. Good luck to all, things will work out for the best! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Distressing news Marquis/Carver

Postby tomschauer » February 1st, 2020, 2:38 pm

For the employees, the industry and all of us, I sincerely hope they find a way to stay in operation for many years to come!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 1st, 2020, 2:38 pm

YIKES! I didn't see this coming!! Wonder how they're doing financially? Seems like in such a good overall market they'd have lots of room for sales, as compared to 'down years'.

Was it privately owned?? I had thought someone purchased them and they were running independently as a "wholly owned subsidiary" for a while. Not accurate?

United States of America
throwback2
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 28 Voyager,twin small blocks,1991 Shamrock,350 Chevy now.
1973 Atlantic Craft 15, 2004 2 smoke Merc 40,
and a few other water toys

Postby throwback2 » February 1st, 2020, 10:11 pm

Wow,didn't expect to see that.

United States of America
Benda515
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2018 Carver C37

Postby Benda515 » February 2nd, 2020, 6:54 am

Well that is news that a new owner dosent like to see. I bet lexus isnt pleased after creating that new yacht with them. Hopefully a new sale will happen

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 2nd, 2020, 8:52 am

I did not see this coming but always wondered how Carver could continue offering what they do when all others seem to have downsized or disappeared. Sad news for the entire industry, let's just hope someone is crazy enough to inject time and money into a great boating company but man you really need to have a large set of family jewels to do this. New boat prices are simply ridiculous IMHO, depreciation at least 50% in a few years. As Brunswick corp said when they downsized Bayliner and shut down Meridian followed by Searay. The used boat market is our biggest competitor and almost all are opting for used as opposed to new. You have to admit, not much new stuff out there at all.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 2nd, 2020, 11:57 am

Lots of competition from offshore built boats now, its gotta be tough to control costs......eastern Europe etc.

On another front, saw a bowrider that was the best part of 40'.....is this what people want now?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » February 2nd, 2020, 3:43 pm

It's hard for me to understand how a sole owner of such a company did not have a succession plan in place prior to ones demise!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » February 3rd, 2020, 12:30 pm

Please be advised that I am in no way connected to the company, just passing along info being discussed among very reliable sources, current and previous employees. I really should keep this on the down low, but this group deserves to hear something. Ownership structure is a combo of LLC supported by the individual no longer with us. Yes, there is most likely a succession plan in place, but the key players in that plan have no interest in owning a boat manufacturing business. Marquis/Carver is one piece of the puzzle. There are currently about 100 employees working, and the Lexus model is getting most of that attention. They have orders, but some are being impacted by economic conditions completely out of their control. There is a lot of confidence that the company will continue, after this bumpy period, with a strong possibility the temp stop will not actually occur. The announcement came out as a direct result to regulatory requirements regarding employment intentions. The company serves a niche of the market that other manufacturers do not serve. They build a great product, with real value in terms of cost and result. Saturday night I was informed there is another buyer, and maybe a second, engaged in the process. When I look at how the competitors are evolving, with a focus on outboard applications on 38' and 40' day boats, I would think that Marquis/Carver position is getting stronger as a comfortable condo on the water. Let's all remain positive, and serve as supportive ambassadors of the company and their valuable operation. Owners of the product are a strong resource in this situation. Benda515 - chillax, you are getting a fabulous boat! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » February 3rd, 2020, 12:40 pm

It's all over the web already.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY