Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Marina Closed due to Covid -19 !

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Marina Closed due to Covid -19 !

Postby Viper » March 23rd, 2020, 9:20 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post They just closed all of Quebec and Ontario non essential business. :-O

Yep that settles that. Marinas will likely be closed starting March 25th, and if they are a busy marina with winter work on going, there's going to be a lot of late launches this Spring. It's going to be a mad house trying to get everyone in the water in decent time.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 23rd, 2020, 10:27 pm

Official .........Marina now closed and we have no access...talking about May......boats are all put to bed and we can't get them up, so this sounds unlikely.

Stay safe people, we are in this together for a while it seems.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 24th, 2020, 12:53 am

Wow, I am really glad I am stored in a small privately owned building. My marina is actually a public, city park. Don't think they can prevent me from at least parking, besides the fact there may not be power/water. Same person who owns the storage, does the transport and launch. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 24th, 2020, 1:04 am

As of 12:01 AM March 24th all non essential businesses in Michigan are supposed to shut down. We are going into stay at home mode. I would think that marinas are non essential businesses. I work in an essential field so I will still report to work as scheduled. I will try to get down to my marina on Friday to see if they are indeed closed. The start of my season could be delayed for a period of time while this Covid 19 situation continues.

It's a bummer but the health and safety of all takes precedence here IMO.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 24th, 2020, 6:57 am

Wow the Ontario government just announced that marinas are an essential service! That's great for boaters but not so good for marina workers that will be expected to work, or the chances of minimizing the spread of the virus. I think the government stopped short for sure. So it seems announcing it was ordering the shut down of non essential business was just a political move so we can't say later that they didn't do enough, but their list of what they're considering is an essential service means just about every type of business can stay open. I don't see how this helps, I see this coming back to bite them in the a$$ though. You can't say these same businesses aren't essential in one way such as contract talks but suddenly essential now. My wife works for the provincial government and her sector workers are unionized, they're going to have a field day with this one later.

United States of America
Tommy3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1982 25ft Fiberform
1975 20 ft Thompson
1969 17ft Sportcraft
1968 19ft Seastar

Postby Tommy3 » March 24th, 2020, 7:25 am

Good morning,
Anyone hearing anymore on Long Island Marina and Harbor closures?

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 24th, 2020, 8:47 am

Viper, this is great news as my boat storage marina and my marina are located in Ontario. Thanks, you made my day in these uncertain times. :worthy:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 24th, 2020, 9:31 am

Keep in mind that they can't force staff to work if they don't feel it's safe. If it's a government entity then they're likely unionized and they'll have something to say about it too. I'm sure everyone will hit the water eventually, the question is when?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 24th, 2020, 10:22 am

We got a notice directly from our marina ( privately owned ) stating they are closed due to the regs. Looking at the regs and list posted on the Ontario gov. site, I am not sure about the wording.....nowhere does it say recreational marinas, unless I missed it.......my words here..... more along the lines of a business providing fuel and repairs to marine regarding transportation etc,.....is essential.

I am thinking marine in this context may be a bit different, it is a bit confusing to read, although at this point they are forced because certain folk are not following the recommendations set forth by the health community. In Ontario all employees have the right to refuse unsafe work with a reason being given and a solution or recommendation to the employer which is considered......no worker should be punished for doing this.

Hopefully the viability of all these businesses will be able to recover. I believe they will with our help , once this backs off. So support your local people whenever you can.....soapbox now removed....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 24th, 2020, 11:10 am

Ya it's not very clear. They don't use the word "marina" but I think it can be interpreted that way. Here's the exact wording;

5. Gas stations, diesel, propane and heating fuel providers including providers of motor vehicle, aircraft and water/marine craft fuels;
6. Motor vehicle, auto-supply, auto and motor-vehicle-repair, including bicycle repair, aircraft repair, heavy equipment repair, watercraft/marine craft repairs, car and truck dealerships and related facilities;

Return to “General Boating Discussion”