Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Boat transport

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Fishboy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Boat transport

Postby Fishboy » May 18th, 2020, 12:19 am

So I’m the new owner of an old Carver! 1994 320 Voyager and I need to get it moved. This is becoming a major undertaking. This boat has no radar arch and has a 35” draft and 9’11” bridge clearance for a total height of 12’10” and needs to be loaded from the water. No lifts on the whole lake. I found a company who gave me a decent price and set up the move for last Thursday. The day before at about 7pm I finally heard from them that they couldn’t move it till Friday. Ok, I get it, there’s a lot of moving pieces to this puzzle but I’d appreciate a little better communication.

Friday morning I call them for details and they say can’t move it till Sunday but this time they really mean it. Sat eve about 5pm and now I’m finally talking with the driver who says the boat is too high and he can’t move it. The previous owner had it shipped without removing anything from Detroit to central Illinois no problem 10yrs prior.

Today I’ve spoken with several shippers who agree it’s too tall and I need to remove the windscreen, seats and wheel. I thought a boat 12’10” could fit on a trailer as is.

I don’t get it, it’s 12’10” and at first they say it’s ok until they learn what model it is and then say it’s too tall.

Anyone have any experience like this?

Can anyone recommend a shipper with a hydraulic trailer in the Chicago-southern IL area?

One guy said the Venturi style windscreen must come off anyway due to its not being strong enough for highway speeds. True or false?

Tomorrow I want to get transport set up for good and get my boat to it’s new home this week. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Doug

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Boat transport

Postby Midnightsun » May 18th, 2020, 6:09 am

Problem is there can be obstacles such as bridges and electrical lines which won't have enough clearance. Maximum legal load height is 13'6", anything over this you will most likely hit something. You say you have 12' 10". The boat bottom cannot be skimming the ground with only 8" to spare.

A short haul a few miles away where the driver knows his route with no low wires or bridges, they should have no trouble hauling it but any major distance and especially on an interstate, something needs to come off. Normally one starts with the props which will gain you a good 8".
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Capt Happy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1974 16 Foot ex DFO Lapstrake Speedboat
1985 21 Foot Baby Cape Islander
1977 26 Foot Trojan F-26 Cruiser
1997 Carver 320 Voyager

Postby Capt Happy » May 18th, 2020, 7:50 am

Good Morning,

We purchased a '98 Voyager a few years ago and had it shipped from Ontario to Nova Scotia,roughly a thousand miles, perhaps the regulations are different in Canada, but we did not need to remover the windscreen or seats. Did have to remove the hardtop and all associated items with this, A royal pain when reinstalling but doable. In addition, we removed the props, a small gain. I have the name of the shipper we used, he was an absolute professional, showed up on time and checked in daily with his progress towards home. I can provide his name for you, but pretty sure he is not allowed to pick up and drop off in the states. Travelling across the border either way is not an issue, but believe inter state transportation is not allowed. Main point here is someone with the proper trailer, can do this without going through all the hassle of removing these items. There are several very knowledgeable members on here, who may be able to provide better advice concerning your area. Good Luck!

Canada
Capt Happy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
1997 Carver 320 Voyager

Postby Capt Happy » May 18th, 2020, 7:52 am

Sorry, should have mentioned, we did shrink wrap just the upper helm. Should help with any concerns about windage out on the highway if done properly. Cheers.

Fishboy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Fishboy » May 18th, 2020, 9:51 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Problem is there can be obstacles such as bridges and electrical lines which won't have enough clearance. Maximum legal load height is 13'6", anything over this you will most likely hit something. You say you have 12' 10". The boat bottom cannot be skimming the ground with only 8" to spare.

A short haul a few miles away where the driver knows his route with no low wires or bridges, they should have no trouble hauling it but any major distance and especially on an interstate, something needs to come off. Normally one starts with the props which will gain you a good 8".

I'm told there are trailers that will raise the aft end and lower the front end creating more clearance on the trailer. I've had 3 shippers not think twice about hauling without taking down the top, so I'm getting both yes and no answers which is confusing. The yes answers were for a different boat but same model and other quotes for this boat. Those shippers aren't available for several weeks and I don't want to take the delay and then learn they were wrong again.

I'm starting to get used to the idea of taking apart the top. What's involved with removing the windscreen and seats?

Thank you for your reply.

Fishboy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Fishboy » May 18th, 2020, 9:58 am

Capt Happy wrote:Source of the post Good Morning,

We purchased a '98 Voyager a few years ago and had it shipped from Ontario to Nova Scotia,roughly a thousand miles, perhaps the regulations are different in Canada, but we did not need to remover the windscreen or seats. Did have to remove the hardtop and all associated items with this, A royal pain when reinstalling but doable. In addition, we removed the props, a small gain. I have the name of the shipper we used, he was an absolute professional, showed up on time and checked in daily with his progress towards home. I can provide his name for you, but pretty sure he is not allowed to pick up and drop off in the states. Travelling across the border either way is not an issue, but believe inter state transportation is not allowed. Main point here is someone with the proper trailer, can do this without going through all the hassle of removing these items. There are several very knowledgeable members on here, who may be able to provide better advice concerning your area. Good Luck!

I'm only familiar with the 320 Voyager and haven't seen any hard top versions. What model did you ship?

I'd think it easy to remove the props but to gain any advantage I'd think you need to also remove the rudders. Is that as easy as removing the props?

I've been doing my own shrinkwrapping on a 270 Bayliner for 15 years. It would be fast and easy to wrap the bridge, good idea.

Please share the shippers info, I'm just waiting for others to find a solution and welcome more opinions. Thanks for your reply. Doug

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » May 18th, 2020, 11:05 am

What are the pick up and delivery points? 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 18th, 2020, 11:53 am

I think that if you are moving the boat more than just a short trip, remove all the wobbly stuff, venturi and such.....you would be surprised at the damage that occurs from the trailer and highway vibration if all is not secured. The higher it is up the more it moves...the shrink is a good idea.

That could be the reason the others were hesitant nowadays. More enforcement as far as height....the total numbers are always different when the boat gets on the trailer, as has been said.

Good luck with your move...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Capt Happy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
1997 Carver 320 Voyager

Postby Capt Happy » May 18th, 2020, 4:53 pm

_DSC0688.jpg

Hi Again,

We have a 1998 320 Voyager, pic included. The hardtop, was purchased by the previous owner, not sure how many of them would have them installed.

We did not remove the rudders, so can not speak to that.
The shipper's name was " Windward Transportation, ask to speak with Shawn. (902) 499-0062.

I'm currently at sea for another week, I think I saved some pictures of it on the trailer at arrival and would have a look when back on land in about 8-9 days time. Let me know how you make out,, cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Capt Happy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
1997 Carver 320 Voyager

Postby Capt Happy » May 18th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Carver 10.JPG

Sorry this is the only one I have access to from the ship here.
You might be able to discern, some of the advantage from this picture by removing the props. You will see that that shafts are pretty much centered on the bottom of the rudder. As stated by previous member, about an eight inch gain. Correction, ours is a '97 Voyager.

All the best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”