Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Summer boat storage, tarp or no tarp

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Summer boat storage, tarp or no tarp

Postby bud37 » May 23rd, 2020, 7:09 am

I have never stored a boat on the hard for the summer season when it is hot up here in Ontario. Right now it has a vented canvas type fitted tarp on it. Wondering what the best course of action is, leave the tarp up or take it down for the summer and put back up in the fall. The last few days has been quite hot under the tarp....salon ok but bridge hot.

The question for those of you that have stored on the hard in more southern areas where it gets hot longer thru the year....how/best way, to do it ?
Leave the tarp up....
Uncover for the hot spell.... I'm sure you guys in the south will have some stories of what went good/bad that will help my decision here.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Summer boat storage, tarp or no tarp

Postby RGrew176 » May 24th, 2020, 1:12 am

Personally I would leave it covered up. Keep the elements out. My boat is in the water covered and if it were still on the hard it would also be covered. Yes, it does get warm under the canvas. Not much you can do about that other than to uncover.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 24th, 2020, 9:28 am

I would leave it covered as long as there is ventilation in there. Don't want to trap moisture with the heat or bad things will happen.

You might want to double-up on any prevention you have for bugs to get in there... particularly mud daubbers. Even just hanging some 'no-pest' strips might help.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 24th, 2020, 4:06 pm

When you're in the water, is it in a covered or uncovered slip? If she's always in an uncovered slip, then what's the difference with leaving her cover off for the season? The only benefit of leaving it covered is keeping direct sunlight off her for a season but I think extreme heat has pitfalls too.

If you're going to leave her covered for a year, ventilation concerns are a given. I'd also make sure there's going to be no possibility of the canvas chaffing the gelcoat for that long or you'll need to do extra work to bring those spots back up. Treat your fuel again a couple of more times, and bump the engines and genny over periodically, maintain the batteries, etc....you know the drill. AND check those jack stands.

Are you thinking of not getting launched this year?

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 27th, 2020, 6:24 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Are you thinking of not getting launched this year?

Yup......called a broker yesterday.

The fuel tanks were pumped out last fall so it is really ready for longer term storage. Open slip, I was just trying to decide about the heat under the tarp, it has nice venting but still hot, it will moderate in the next while and so long as I can open up the boat up every now and then I think it will be ok for the next owner.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 27th, 2020, 6:46 am

It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you leave her covered on land, a prospective buyer might shy away as they can't run some systems or take her out for a sea trial on the spot. People like to see them uncovered and in the water. When they're already in the water though, a survey will require a haul out which is not cheap, however, like a survey, it's a chance and expense you take when getting down to the final stages of buying. If she doesn't sell, you'll have to go through the trouble and expense of winterizing again. The key is to price it right based on current market conditions so you don't go through the expense of winterizing and another season's slip fees.

What does your broker say about selling under current conditions? I would have thought that like the housing market, boat sales would be way down too and so would selling prices. If that's actually the case, you may want to wait another season but only if you think you'd get an additional amount to offset the ongoing expense of keeping her.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 27th, 2020, 11:08 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post What does your broker say about selling under current conditions? I would have thought that like the housing market, boat sales would be way down too and so would selling prices.

Said there is not enough inventory for the buyers that are out there, so pricing just the opposite....only issue is the US buyers can't access the market as it stands now. This will be sold from under the cover, ain't no free rides, if they don't like it there are other boats out there, any other time the boat would be all pretty in the water but ???. This is a real nice boat with properly done expensive up-grades...20k last year, no matter what I price it at someone is getting a great deal. Ain't my first rodeo, but will be the last big boat, the old body just can't do the work.... :cry:

.If I had a good, competent, trust worthy mechanic we would keep it for a while longer and get some enjoyment from the upgrades. I have no issue paying people to do work so long as it is done correctly......... :beergood:

Return to “General Boating Discussion”