Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anchor rode length and how to increase

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anchor rode length and how to increase

Postby km1125 » August 10th, 2020, 9:25 am

Pics of the windlass could help others give you come clues on what make/model it is.

If there's not a huge amount of current in the area you lost the anchor you should contact some local divers to see if someone can go down and put a line right on the anchor so you can pull it "backwards" and retrieve it and the chain. My current anchor is from one of my diver friends who found it hooked on a pipe while he was out exploring.

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » August 10th, 2020, 1:17 pm

tgebler wrote:Source of the post I recently had to dump my anchor and chain on my 2000 396 aft cabin after getting hung up on the river bottom and after an hour or more of trying to get loose. Thoughts on a plow anchor and whether I should replace the chain or a combination? The boat is only on PA rivers, i.e., Ohio, Allegheny and Mon usually in water 15-25' deep. I am also trying to figure out the model of the windless so I can get the right chain. Thoughts??

I was told by some pretty savy boaters (more than one) that 1lb per foot of boat, so you'd most likely need a 40lb anchor.
my maxwell windlass manual says 3/1 scope minimal.
that being said we have 36MY with a 33lb anchor, but it has a Mantus swivel which feels like 5lbs itself, plus we expanded our rode to be 150' chain and 100' 8-plait rode.

You could get away with 150' rode, 25' in chain, 125' in rode (easier to cut if needed) 36lb "plow" style anchor, with a "Mantus" swivel
I like Dark horse marine rode packages as you can get the rode with a 2-link splice at the end to clevis inside your anchor locker.

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Postby tgebler » August 11th, 2020, 11:52 am

Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 11th, 2020, 8:25 pm

The design of the anchor also plays a large roll in the weight required for a given size boat. Some designs have better holding power than others in the same conditions and thus can weigh less than other designs.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”