Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anchor rode length and how to increase

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Anchor rode length and how to increase

Postby Cliffm » June 1st, 2020, 12:39 pm

The Captain and I visited "the Condo" last weekend, and as was on our too-do list, played out all the anchor rode. It turned out to be all galvanized chain (but need to verify 5/16 BBB or G4). We did determine we only have 120' of it, and we need to mark it!

Now the question is, to achieve desired scope, we're limited to <30 feet for anchoring purposes. Rather than replacing with a single longer chain run, has anyone joined additional chain? or at this point do we just get 200" of 5/8 3-strand and splice it onto the end of our 120" chain?

I noted our anchor locker is not the largest so I'm thinking the rope would lay out easier? cushioning the chain fall?

can I get some yeh/ney's on this? anyone done something similar? will the factory windlass work with chain/rope?

as always, we appreciate the comments ans support.

Cliff & Beth
Renton WA

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anchor rode length and how to increase

Postby bud37 » June 1st, 2020, 2:00 pm

Heh Cliff....could you post the windlass make ?....you may have to contact the maker to see if the gypsy will handle both......

At 30 ft deep, depending on the bottom you could be as much as 7 to 1 for rough , shifty wind conditions. All chain maybe 5 to 1.

As far as marking, I just lay the chain out and paint different colors on the chain, then write the chain colors/depth next to the windlass control.....every 20ft or so, you choose.

Can't answer about the chain splice, although I somehow doubt it.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » June 1st, 2020, 3:48 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Heh Cliff....could you post the windlass make ?....you may have to contact the maker to see if the gypsy will handle both......

At 30 ft deep, depending on the bottom you could be as much as 7 to 1 for rough , shifty wind conditions. All chain maybe 5 to 1.

As far as marking, I just lay the chain out and paint different colors on the chain, then write the chain colors/depth next to the windlass control.....every 20ft or so, you choose.

Can't answer about the chain splice, although I somehow doubt it.

Thanks,

As stated, it's the "factory" installed 2006 Carver 36MY windlass, what ever make that is, hence my question for those running the "factory" installed windless running combinations of chain and rope, what are you running?

understanding that running all chain or >100' chain, running 4/1 scope works, especially sheltered.

United States of America
Danpmart
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 AC

Postby Danpmart » June 1st, 2020, 5:04 pm

I have used this in the past to add more chain and it has worked well. I did use a propane torch to heat the pins before hammering them down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » June 2nd, 2020, 10:02 am

Danpmart, thanks for this. I had seen this, and wondered if anyone had used and or had issues going through the windlass.

I had heard of folks putting JB weld on the flats prior to assembling them. As the son of a farrier, I'm well versed at hammering things to together! I'd also considered using 3M 5200 as its next to cement to get loose! :-)

My recent thought, was to add 150' to 200' of chain, attached to anchor, then joined to original 120' in locker via this connector.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 2nd, 2020, 2:02 pm

I noticed something in that chain link explanation from west marine, it says not for use with a windlass .
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » June 3rd, 2020, 3:02 pm

Hey Cliffm. If you are adding 200 additional feet of chain to the current 120, you might want to consider the amount of weight that modification entails.
I would think that the marine architects who designed your vessel limited the length of chain for a reason. (besides keeping costs down of course).
My 2005 Mariner 36 has a Maxwell 800 windless. The company (http://www.maxwellmarine.com) has a very strong technical support department and can let you know if the unit can handle combo rode.
Good luck.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 3rd, 2020, 5:22 pm

The Maxwell Freedom 800 handles both rope and chain. That windlass uses 5/16" G4 chain and if I remember correctly, it weighs about 3/4 to 1 pound per foot. If my memory is correct, that's about 320 lbs of weight or about 1-2 people on the bow. Try running with two people up there and see how it affects performance and stability before you commit to changing anything.

You also need to consider the size of the chain locker and how that much rode will pile up in there otherwise you'll create other issues if it piles up too high and close to the windlass. There is a minimum distance that the top of the rode pile has to be away from the windlass under the deck.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » August 4th, 2020, 10:04 am

**update** we purchased 125' rode 25' 5/16 chain and 100' 5/8 8-plait with spliced 5/16 link at the end for securing inside anchor locker. We have 800 Maxwell windlass which handles both.

Used 5/16 splice top combine previous 125' chain to 25' chain on the rode, 150' total chain, marked every 30', then marked the 100' 8-plait rope as well. We "blue marked" 6' from each end, anchor and chain locker to identify getting close. 250' total now.

5/15 chain splice goes through 800 Maxwell windlass without issues. We have a Davis Ind. 33lbs galvanized anchor with Mantus Swivel.

We found the best "rode" price at Dark Horse marine, really liking the extra 2 links spliced at the rode end, in order to use clevis to lock it inside locker.

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Postby tgebler » August 9th, 2020, 10:48 pm

I recently had to dump my anchor and chain on my 2000 396 aft cabin after getting hung up on the river bottom and after an hour or more of trying to get loose. Thoughts on a plow anchor and whether I should replace the chain or a combination? The boat is only on PA rivers, i.e., Ohio, Allegheny and Mon usually in water 15-25' deep. I am also trying to figure out the model of the windless so I can get the right chain. Thoughts??

Return to “General Boating Discussion”