Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Running the Genny at night?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Running the Genny at night?

Postby Midnightsun » July 5th, 2020, 1:29 pm

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Hans, when you replaced the detectors did you simply replace the sensor unit or the entire package? Any links to your purchase (as you've done in the past) are much appreciated.

Replaced them with the newer style Xintex marine version. https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/marine-c ... or-cmd5-m/
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Beufort
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 86’ montego 26.

Postby Beufort » July 5th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Fun story about carbon monoxide detectors, if you check the detectors ratings they almost always alarm much higher than the limits set by osha, I have no idea why, I stopped trusting those things years ago. You can look up the osha limits online for fun.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 5th, 2020, 9:14 pm

The industry standard for CO alarm points is 35 ppm.......now I believe many of these marine units are using time weighted average alarms because of all the nuisance alarms....this could be what you are referring to.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
JMo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 Aft Cabin Motoryacht
Twin Crusader 454 XL Gas
Westerbeke 7.0kW BCD

Postby JMo » July 6th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Between the 3 CO detectors that are hard wired and two portable ones I keep next to the beds , I’m confident enough that if there is a CO issue , one of them is alarming and they are loud! I have also trained my kids to go sit on the Aft Deck or Dock , if they ever hear an alarm , fire or CO. We live in North GA , so sleeping on the boat without AC is impossible. For tie ups, I never open any windows, everything is sealed up and closed. We just did a 14 boat tie up this weekend and everyone ran their generator. 90F outside and stagnant as hell. We all operate the same way. Windows closed up and AC on 68F!

United States of America
Beufort
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 86’ montego 26.

Postby Beufort » July 6th, 2020, 9:55 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post The industry standard for CO alarm points is 35 ppm.......now I believe many of these marine units are using time weighted average alarms because of all the nuisance alarms....this could be what you are referring to.

I just pulled up one that states it has an alarm point of 400ppm 4-15 minutes, a safe-t-alert 65 series, guess I was only saying I am pretty skeptical that these sensors would wake me up in time is all.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 7th, 2020, 9:30 am

Yea,.... in the hot, humid climate situations you really are caught between a rock and a hard place. It would be worrisome for sure. When I said industry standard, perhaps I should have said industrial standards for alarm points.

Knowledge is the best help for safe operation in these situations....IMO....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » July 10th, 2020, 6:29 am

It is unsafe and ruins the peacefulness of being on the water overnight for other boaters in the area, in my opinion.
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 10th, 2020, 6:36 am

Petemait wrote:Source of the post It is unsafe and ruins the peacefulness of being on the water overnight for other boaters in the area, in my opinion.

I'll second that!
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » July 10th, 2020, 10:27 am

I agree it's not safe to run one when everyone's asleep. But, I will admit that I have done so on very rare occasion. My genset is, however, located outside the cabin and under the cockpit, so its not like some where it's located under the salon. Also, I double checked my CO2 monitors, and I stayed awake while the admiral slept. Being in the south it was just too hot and humid a night and you know, "Happy Wife, Happy Life!", loss of sleep was a small price to pay to ensure safety.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Return to “General Boating Discussion”