Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Running the Genny at night?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 46 Voyager
Volvo D9-500’s

Re: Running the Genny at night?

Postby vtcats » July 2nd, 2020, 6:49 am

Very interesting subject. I’ve only done it once on my previous boat and never slept all night because I was too worried.
In addition, occasionally I can smell the diesel exhaust in the cabin while the genset is running (yes, you can’t smell CO, but I would think if you CAN smell diesel then there has to be CO present, even if low level).
Last year I was a transient at a marina (more of a resort than a properly run marina) and another boat diagonal across from me was running his genset with the wind slightly blowing in my direction. I was upset but didn’t do anything about it for a few hours (it was obvious by now he was going to run it all day/night) while sitting on the back of my boat. Then when my wife was taking a shower, the salon CO detector started going off. When speaking with the owner of that boat, he was kind of upset at ME and was trying to counter my concern when I indicated I could smell his exhaust (saying you can’t smell CO). But I just pointed at my detector and said well, ITS GOING OFF! So he moved his boat in maybe 10-15 slips away from me and continue to run it (even though there were a few boats with people near him). But I noticed he at least shut it off at night. I guess his boat was tripping the power for the entire marina which was why he was running it.
But your comment of “you don’t know what you don’t know” is applicable. It may take just the perfect situation for it to be an issue, and people die. Thank god my CO detector had gone off because who knows if I would have said anything. I will for sure NOW.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo D9-500’s

Postby vtcats » July 2nd, 2020, 6:53 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
Benda515 wrote:Source of the post We run ours all night have done many times no issues, you have CO2 alarms if there is a problem. As long as it is a true Marine genny installed correctly that is what they are for

Pages 12 , 13, and 14 owners manual......

https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... ook-x4.pdf

This mentioned opening a forward hatch to help prevent it. What happens if the wind is blowing from behind while at anchor. Isn’t that just lime the comment made VIPER about the the RV with his roof vent open and the wind was blowing just right that brought the exhaust in??
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 2nd, 2020, 7:54 am

I see people at anchor with a Honda 2000 on the front deck!! At anchor, which way does the boat position itself relative to the wind? Kinda dumb unless you are stern tied but then again if the wind shifts your back to dumb again. Even if your boat was electric, a CO detector is a must as other sources around you as mentioned above could cause CO poisoning on your boat.

It is crucial to have up to date detectors on board, they do have a lifespan and should be tested a few times each season. All of mine were replaced 4 years ago just for safety sake and I have diesels which are pretty much CO safe.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo D9-500’s

Postby vtcats » July 2nd, 2020, 8:15 am

I have diesels which are pretty much CO safe.[/quote]

How accurate is this? (Not doubting, but truly want to know). As mentioned above, the only time my CO detector has gone off was due to another boats gas genset running near me. Ive NEVER had them go off on my diesel. I had my CO detector from my previous gas powered 396 Go off a few times. Once while running 20knots but the wind was blowing from behind very strong.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 2nd, 2020, 4:41 pm

All combustion engines produce CO however diesels are so efficient they produce much less. I do not know the exact figures but have heard 10x less. You almost need to stick your face in the exhaust to succumb to CO poisoning from diesels. You really never hear of CO poisoning from diesels but they do exist. I searched quite extensively and found 1 case of a truck driver sleeping in his cab otherwise nada. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18643868/
Last edited by Midnightsun on July 2nd, 2020, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo D9-500’s

Postby vtcats » July 2nd, 2020, 4:46 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post All combustion engines produce CO however diesels are so efficient they produce much less. I do not know the exact figures but have heard 10x less. You almost need to stick your face in the exhaust to succumbed to CO poisoning from diesels. You really never hear of CO poisoning from diesels but they do exist. I searched quite extensively and found 1 case of a truck driver sleeping in his cab otherwise nada. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18643868/

Good to know. But when I smell diesel in the salon, I still don’t like it. It’s only on occasion and never in the front cabin where we sleep.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 2nd, 2020, 6:18 pm

I have never smelled diesel in my boat.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
vtcats
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo D9-500’s

Postby vtcats » July 2nd, 2020, 7:50 pm

Midnightsun wrote:I have never smelled diesel in my boat.

Nice. But if I’m running the engines or genset and go in and out of the cabin a few times the smell will go in. It goes away quickly once shut off, but it does happen.
2006 46 Voyager
Mallets Bay, VT

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » July 3rd, 2020, 5:35 pm

Hans, when you replaced the detectors did you simply replace the sensor unit or the entire package? Any links to your purchase (as you've done in the past) are much appreciated.

United States of America
Captain Cigar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 430 CPMY Twin Crusader 502's

Postby Captain Cigar » July 4th, 2020, 5:13 pm

I run mine all night with Co detectors. I also keep the bilge blowers on so if any co is there it will get sucked outside anyway
Bruce Scheck
1995 430 CPMY
Lake Lanier, Ga

Return to “General Boating Discussion”