Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Spider Control

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Spider Control

Postby Midnightsun » July 12th, 2020, 6:04 am

Yes there are spiders on boats and lots of them if not controlled. Rick recently posted his shopvac solution to eliminating spiders and figured it is a great topic so here we are.

let's hear your solution.

I have used several spray products over the years. When I leave the boat I lightly spray the dock lines and fenders in hopes of keeping the critters at bay. The trick is finding the right product. I came across it, called Bugtek. https://ca.binnacle.com/p13290/Bug-Tek- ... _info.html

Water based and once hit they die in seconds. My technique is to go out with my flashlight when it's dark as this is when they spin their webs and await their pray. A little shot of this stuff is all it takes. Along with treating deployed dock lines and fenders and spider hunting a couple of times at the beginning of the season, I normally remain entirely spider free for the rest of the season.

That being said, the spider issue is always outside. I have seen a spider once in a blue moon inside the boat but definitely not an issue.

A little about Bugtek. It is water based as mentioned, does not leave any trace after spraying anywhere including windows, gelcoat and canvas. Spray it on your hands and no residue or sticky feeling, just as if you sprayed water. Saw the product on demonstration several years back, salesman claims it is non toxic so he sprays it into his mouth and swallows. :-O I would never do that but I swear this is what he did. I use it quite often on plants around my home to control insects especially all the indoor plants. Great product. :down:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Spider Control

Postby bud37 » July 12th, 2020, 9:15 am

.....I have used Bugtek, seems to work fine....interesting active ingredient ( Permethrin )....read about ( google ) , it has quite the history as for it's uses.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 12th, 2020, 10:34 am

Thanks Bud37,

Just bought some super concentrate which is a heck of a lot cheaper. The Bugtek has 0.25% Permetherin. The concentrate is 37% which leads me to belive I can mix about 45 gallons. :-O Will ship to the US and eventually bring home. ;-)https://www.ebay.com/itm/Permethrin-SFR ... 0005.m1851
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 12th, 2020, 11:10 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Thanks Bud37,

Just bought some super concentrate which is a heck of a lot cheaper. The Bugtek has 0.25% Permetherin. The concentrate is 37% which leads me to belive I can mix about 45 gallons. :-O Will ship to the US and eventually bring home. ;-)https://www.ebay.com/itm/Permethrin-SFR ... 0005.m1851

Just read the warnings if you have cats....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 12th, 2020, 11:18 am

Thanks for the heads up as we do have cats but not at the boat. When used at home it is not sprayed all over the place, just on infected plants and will make sure the cats cannot get to them.

Found this.
Permethrin SFR is safe around children and pets as long as they are kept out of the area during the application and they do not return to the area until it is dry. Permethrin SFR should not be used in an organic garden because it is a synthetic product and it is not labeled for use on most types of edible plants.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 12th, 2020, 11:07 pm

Been using Bugtek and some of their other products for a few years now. Good stuff.

Sounds like you may have been talking to Peter, he really knows his stuff and is a great guy too.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 30th, 2021, 6:19 am

Permethrin update......... Holy Cow is all I can say. While on the hard the boat was infested with webs and spiders. I used a fogger and treated the entire boat, within minutes all the spiders were dropping dead, I kid you not. Once at the dock I sprayed the dock, the lines and the PWC with a simple spray bottle. Not a single spider, bug or web to be found. 1 oz of permethrin in 1.5l of water. The fogger really works well and will most likely bring it back to the boat on the next couple of weeks for another shot as it shoots pretty far and I can easily get to the arch and its equipment which alway seem to be a preferred nesting area for spiders. A fogger is by no means required as a spray bottle will easily do the trick. https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396024275

Slight odour to the product but completely disappears after an hour or so. No residue, no streaks or funky stuff going on, in fact no different than spraying the boat with water. Two thumbs up for sure. :down: :down:
Last edited by Midnightsun on March 27th, 2022, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 30th, 2021, 7:49 am

Personally I do not have a problem using chemicals outside but I shy away from using them inside. Just not sure how harmful they could be to me or my family. The shop vac does a pretty good job inside. Knock on wood the spiders have not been bad at my dock or boat so far this season.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 30th, 2021, 7:58 am

Just for clarification, I do not use this inside the cabin however I did do the cockpit hard top area and canvas.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 1st, 2021, 12:38 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Just for clarification, I do not use this inside the cabin however I did do the cockpit hard top area and canvas.

That makes more sense. And probably much safer too.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “General Boating Discussion”