Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Spider Control

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Wales
womide
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross

Re: Spider Control

Postby womide » March 20th, 2022, 10:55 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Yes there are spiders on boats and lots of them if not controlled. Rick recently posted his shopvac solution to eliminating spiders and figured it is a great topic so here we are.

let's hear your solution.

I have used several spray products over the years. When I leave the boat I lightly spray the dock lines and fenders in hopes of keeping the critters at bay. The trick is finding the right product. I came across it, called Bugtek. https://ca.binnacle.com/p13290/Bug-Tek- ... _info.html

Water based and once hit they die in seconds. My technique is to go out with my flashlight when it's dark as this is when they spin their webs and await their pray. A little shot of this stuff is all it takes. Along with treating deployed dock lines and fenders and spider hunting a couple of times at the beginning of the season, I normally remain entirely spider free for the rest of the season.

That being said, the spider issue is always outside. I have seen a spider once in a blue moon inside the boat but definitely not an issue.

A little about Bugtek. It is water based as mentioned, does not leave any trace after spraying anywhere including windows, gelcoat and canvas. Spray it on your hands and no residue or sticky feeling, just as if you sprayed water. Saw the product on demonstration several years back, salesman claims it is non toxic so he sprays it into his mouth and swallows. :-O I would never do that but I swear this is what he did. I use it quite often on plants around my home to control insects especially all the indoor plants. Great product. :down:

You are right. I don't have any pets. And I live in Los Angeles so there aren't a ton of wild animals running around. But apparently, Ferrell cats, possums, raccoons, etc., are bringing them into my back yard.
Last year in the hot summer months we were unable to go out to the backyard for 3 months because I was unable to get rid of them! But This stuff works great. I mix with other insecticides like permethrin.

Wales
womide
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby womide » March 20th, 2022, 11:07 am

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Yes there are spiders on boats and lots of them if not controlled. Rick recently posted his shopvac solution to eliminating spiders and figured it is a great topic so here we are.

let's hear your solution.

I have used several spray products over the years. When I leave the boat I lightly spray the dock lines and fenders in hopes of keeping the critters at bay. The trick is finding the right product. I came across it, called Bugtek. https://ca.binnacle.com/p13290/Bug-Tek- ... _info.html

Water based and once hit they die in seconds. My technique is to go out with my flashlight when it's dark as this is when they spin their webs and await their pray. A little shot of this stuff is all it takes. Along with treating deployed dock lines and fenders and spider hunting a couple of times at the beginning of the season, I normally remain entirely spider free for the rest of the season.

That being said, the spider issue is always outside. I have seen a spider once in a blue moon inside the boat but definitely not an issue.

A little about Bugtek. It is water based as mentioned, does not leave any trace after spraying anywhere including windows, gelcoat and canvas. Spray it on your hands and no residue or sticky feeling, just as if you sprayed water. Saw the product on demonstration several years back, salesman claims it is non toxic so he sprays it into his mouth and swallows. :-O I would never do that but I swear this is what he did. I use it quite often on plants around my home to control insects especially all the indoor plants. Great product. :down:

You are right. I don't have any pets. And I live in Los Angeles so there aren't a ton of wild animals running around. But apparently, Ferrell cats, possums, raccoons, etc., are bringing them into my back yard.
Last year in the hot summer months we were unable to go out to the backyard for 3 months because I was unable to get rid of them! But This stuff works great. I mix with other insecticides like permethrin

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 20th, 2022, 2:30 pm

Ill pull my boat in various friends slip and we spray, my dockmates appreciate I have an aft cabin and can stand up on the top and get close enough to the dock roof to spray the supports and other nooks and crannies. Usually do the once in te spring and then keep them at bay at arms reach height during the season.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Wales
womide
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby womide » March 20th, 2022, 11:58 pm

You are right @Midnightsun. I don't have any pets. And I live in Los Angeles so there aren't a ton of wild animals running around. But apparently, Ferrell cats, possums, raccoons, etc., are bringing them into my back yard.
Last year in the hot summer months we were unable to go out to the backyard for 3 months because I was unable to get rid of them! But This stuff works great. I mix with other insecticides like permethrin.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 21st, 2022, 1:59 am

Funny thing. Last season I never moved the boat after launch. Hardly spent any time aboard and for some reason I did not have a spider problem last year. Didn't need the shop vac once. The shop vac method does work.And it is a chemical free solution.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 3rd, 2022, 2:29 pm

Another update, this stuff (permethrin) is like a miracle come true. Found 1 mini spider this year in the corner of the rear canvas. What a pleasure to not deal with these eight legged creatures and their webs on a weekly basis. No more spider hunting at night with a flashlight. Happy camper is an understatement.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
MCADRG
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 3608 Aft Cabin

Postby MCADRG » August 9th, 2022, 1:12 pm

Where can I purchase this product? Thanks.

Mike

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 9th, 2022, 2:07 pm

For whatever reason, Permethrin is not legal in Canada in higher concentration. Got mine in the US. :-O Here is an eBay link however a little pricey on the shipping portion. Enough in that bottle to keep you going for decades though. Only need about 1/2 an once/litre of water added and that is over doing it. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/333101433639
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Boating Discussion”