Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fly ridge cover

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Fly ridge cover

Postby tonyiiiafl » August 15th, 2020, 9:15 am

As the “W” word is close to (WINTER STORAGE) being a reality, I have had my boat shrink wrapped for the past 4 years. It is a costly thing at $1500.00 for 4 months. I get repulsed by that charge. We need to use the marins service on this, and they charge $30.00/ft and an additional $250.00 for the fly bridge. There are many people/companies who charge $10-$12 a foot. However, we are captive to the storage yard.

Has anyone had a bridge cover made? One that snaps to the shield where the canvas goes? How does it stand up? Does it come down to sort of protect the aft deck? I am sure I would have to remove the canvas enclosure on the aft deck also.

Feedback?

Thanks!
F44252E3-989A-4539-A279-B15947829F19.jpeg
A3FF7B47-F807-4C8F-A4B7-D5A485625CBB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fly ridge cover

Postby km1125 » August 15th, 2020, 12:25 pm

My boat is a similar size to yours and I've actually reused my shrink for over 8 years now. Saves a LOT on winter storage costs!!

The really nice thing about shrink is that it is VERY slippery relative to canvas. You need much more of a pitch in canvas than you do in shrink to make sure any snowfall runs off rather than accumulates. Certainly can be done, but you need to think it through.

What is your goal? To just cover the bridge and aft deck? What happens with the rest of the boat? If you're considering leaving the rest of the boat open, then did you think about just shrinking the bridge and aft deck? That would (should) be considerably less expensive than the whole boat, and, if done correctly, you could probably remove and reuse for several seasons too.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”