Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo Penta 8.1 - 2003 396

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 396

Re: Volvo Penta 8.1 - 2003 396

Postby DanM » December 28th, 2020, 12:17 pm

I have those same motors and am quite pleased with them. The only service issues other than maintenance has been the water pumps started leaking so I rebuilt both of them and those pesky fuel pumps. In short, they were painted on the inside and the paint started flaking off, clogging the pump. It presents itself as a clogged fuel filter. It is not a VP only issue but it seems to have occurred more often on VP's. Here is the thread on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2805&p=16578&hilit=DanM#p16578

Don't anticipate any help from VP with questions. Every technical question is answered with "contact your local Volvo Penta authorized service center"

WOT for our 396 is 27.5 knots on a fully fueled, loaded for a trip, flat seas, fresh water run. Best cruise for us is between 16 and 21 knots.

Best wished and congratulations on your new 396 adventure. It's been a wonderful choice for us.
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

United States of America
dscalarm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 396 motor yacht
twin 8.1 Volvo Pentas.

Postby dscalarm » February 20th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Hi downstate. I have a 2003 with 8.1 Volvos. They start up and run flawlessly. I do regular maintenance, and only run up and down the Mohawk River now due to business obligations. The only problem I had was with a fuel pump that apparently had some interior paint flaws that were due to ethanol. I found a guy in Michigan that helped me and I replaced the fuel pump and he rebuilds them so I have a spare in case the other side fails. Needless to say, I don't allow anything but non-ethanol fuel in my tanks now! This is my third Carver and it is my Favorite!
:captain:

Topic author United States of America
RussC243
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby RussC243 » February 23rd, 2021, 4:42 pm

Hi all, Thanks for the help. I contracted a 2003 444. Survey should tale place in a few weeks. It has Volvos... but diesel TAMD63's . I wasn't planning on diesels with a 396 but my wife decided she wanted the cockpit so I guess 44 feet warrants a diesel.
Russ

Return to “General Boating Discussion”