Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo Penta 8.1 - 2003 396

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
RussC243
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Volvo Penta 8.1 - 2003 396

Postby RussC243 » December 17th, 2020, 9:18 am

Hi, I am selecting one of a handful of Carver 396's that are for sale in my area. One I am looking at has Volvo Penta 8.1 engines. After some research, I seems they are more or less mercury engines. I am very much a DYI type so easy access to parts and a reasonable cost is critical to me.

I read some comments the Volvo diesels are not so reliable but that the gas Volvos are a different animal all together. I am only interested in gas as my MO is sit at the dock a lot and make mostly short trips with the wife in the harbor.

Are parts readily available at a reasonable cost? (basic maintenance parts and typical DYI parts like exhaust, risers, pumps, alternators, PCM, etc )

All other things being equal, is there any reason to avoid a boat with the Volva Penta 8.1?

I am planning to have a professional survey done on any boat I purchase.

Thank you
Russ
Stony Brook, NY

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Volvo Penta 8.1 - 2003 396

Postby Midnightsun » December 17th, 2020, 9:38 am

Anything Volvo is definitely more difficult and more expensive to get a hold of than Mercruiser/Mercury. That being said, most common maintenance parts are common and available in the aftermarket. I would not hesitate on Volvo, Crusader or Mercruiser. All use American big/small blocks and are quite similar in overall performance and longevity. Proper maintenance will far outweigh brand when it comes to engine longevity.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 17th, 2020, 11:09 am

Welcome aboard Russ. I second Hans' comments. They all use the same GM blocks differing only in the OEM marinizing hardware, PCM, software, etc. There is a lot of aftermarket parts out there for most recent applications though for some stuff, I stick with OEM only. For OEM components, Merc dealers are everywhere, Volvo and Crusader, not so much but there's a lot of on-line sources.

The key here is previous maintenance habits. Would be nice if you had access to maintenance records. If the owners were DIYers, their competence is what'll determine the vessel's health. Take a good look around as there are usually signs if things have been done wrong or neglected. And yes, a survey is a must once you've narrowed down your search.

Nothings wrong with Volvo diesels. All brands have their quirks. If you were to take the best features of all brands and put them together in one design, it still wouldn't be perfect. Same goes for gas engines, sterndrives, etc.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » December 17th, 2020, 11:34 am

My friend as volvos in his 355 and has no trouble with them , he's very happy with them
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 17th, 2020, 12:04 pm

A number of friends have Volvo 8.1's in various boat brands. They all love 'em. I am a Volvo fan, had their 7.4 in my previous boat. 970 hours with flawless performance. Did recommended maintenance each season and that was all. Never had to buy any parts, so can't comment on availability. Parts will be a little more $$ for OEM, but failure rate is lower, according to my mechanic. I take reliability over a few bucks. Welcome to the neighborhood! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » December 17th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Anything Volvo is definitely more difficult and more expensive to get a hold of than Mercruiser/Mercury. That being said, most common maintenance parts are common and available in the aftermarket. I would not hesitate on Volvo, Crusader or Mercruiser. All use American big/small blocks and are quite similar in overall performance and longevity. Proper maintenance will far outweigh brand when it comes to engine longevity.

What midnightsun said.
I have Crusader 8.1’s in my 356 and while Crusader is my #1 choice, if my boat had Mercs or Volvos, I still would have bought it.
The 396 is the big brother to my 356 and is a nice boat. Definitely, will not be a speed demon with those engines but will be adequate. I wish I had the engine room space you will have as mine is real tight.

Topic author United States of America
RussC243
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby RussC243 » December 18th, 2020, 5:22 am

Thank you all for the insight and warm welcome to the forum.

"not a speed demon" After countless hours of research related to the purchase, I never considered cruising speed other than to estimate the time and gas cost to get the boat to the home slip. Our typical destination is only a few miles from the dock where we raft with friends.

I will post when I select one... hopefully in the next couple weeks but not getting too attached as they are all winterized this time of year. I have to consider how to contract this time of year, pending a sea trial/survey especially when possibly covered in snow. I assume the contract stays pending the survey/sea trial until early spring.
Russ

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » December 18th, 2020, 5:51 am

Welcome! Got them 8.1's in my 360 SS, very reliable, easy to work on, like we all say, maintenance in the one key to any engine. Good luck!!!!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 18th, 2020, 7:15 am

RussC243 wrote:Source of the post I assume the contract stays pending the survey/sea trial until early spring.

Welcome to the forum Russ......don't assume anything here, check the wording of your offer to purchase. Pending sales may have a clause if someone comes in firm for example ( no survey/no trial ), you get a chance to match.......just a heads up......good luck with the search...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 18th, 2020, 11:57 am

The OTP contract can say anything you want. Typically, there is a contingency for a sea trial, and the vessel has to pass a survey. Those 2 are the minimum. A broker will push you to a closed sale, because he/she works for the seller. ( Really him/her self because they want the commission now ) If you feel like the deal is appropriate for you, you can close a sale, but hold back X thousand in a trust account to repair any deficiencies discovered when the vessel goes in the water, plus a short time to run through the systems. If the owner has confidence in his vessel, this should not be an issue with them. If they are concerned with issues about to rear their ugly heads, then they may balk. Good sign to continue the search. If possible, find out who owns the vessel, and visit them. How they used the boat, why they are truly selling, just kind of a "get to know" experience. Maybe the vessel is solid, maybe they only had it for a short time because it is a bucket of anxiety. OR - maybe a bank owns it as a repo. Good luck. I just love the boat buying process...so much fun. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “General Boating Discussion”