Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Run Dry Impellers

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: Run Dry Impellers

Postby Cooler » June 1st, 2021, 10:28 am

OK. First update on the Run Dry impellers. Really easy to install due to increased flexibility. Thought I might get less flow with more flexible units, but just the opposite. There is a lot more water draining out the exhaust at idle at the dock. I installed new 160 T-stats. The engines are showing 168 -170 degree engine temp. Have not taken any real cruise yet, so we will see what happens at 3100 RPM for extended time. Gauges may be off a little, but they used to stick right at 160 level. I have seen reviews that engines are running about 8 to 10 degrees warmer with these impellers. More to come. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 1st, 2021, 9:48 pm

If the impellers are more flexible, there's less pressure and could change the volume and affect temps.

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » June 2nd, 2021, 9:53 am

Yes. The thing the is weird is if I have double the water volume coming out of exhaust at idle, would that not mean more water available to cooling system? What do you think about running at 170 degrees? 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 2nd, 2021, 6:24 pm

170 is fine. You should confirm at the engine to make sure that's what she's actually running at and compare to the gauge. It will be a few degrees off because you're taking the reading from the outside with an IR temp gun.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 2nd, 2021, 6:44 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post Yes. The thing the is weird is if I have double the water volume coming out of exhaust at idle, would that not mean more water available to cooling system? What do you think about running at 170 degrees? 8-) er

Good idea IMO......The warmer you can get those engines/cylinder heads to run at the more efficient they will be all around. This applies to you cause you are in fresh water, but it still has to be kept within reason.....good luck.

I have a question though, in any of the material you read about these impellers, was there any mention of flow vs rpm graphs or comparisons ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » June 3rd, 2021, 1:41 am

Small question, the advice/rule to check waterflow at engine start given earlier: is there a way to do that with stern drives, so the exhaust and everything go down in the water. Can't see or feel anything to indicate that the impeller is doing its job. I also have diesels, so can't make much of touching the impeller housing either: the whole engine shudders.

by the way: if you do see damage to the impeller; go search for the remnants!
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » June 3rd, 2021, 6:45 am

There is a spec for the pump that indicates the volume over a period of time. There's also a method to check by noting the height of the discharge out of the discharge hose. These don't account though for restrictions that might be present in the engine and accompanying hardware. Taking temp measurements at key points on the engine and exhaust will paint a pretty good picture on whether there's a cooling issue or not.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 3rd, 2021, 7:30 am

American V8 iron is most efficient and was designed to run at 180-190F. No harm will be done running lower temps but efficiency suffers. That being said, all my previous V8 boats had 160F thermostats and ran pretty much dead on at 180 all the time in fresh water.

Salt water applications differ since there is more harm done due to salt crystallization within the cooling passages at higher temps and it is advisable to run 140f thermostats in this application.

Found this article that explains it better than I do. https://www.oceannavigator.com/saltwate ... -clogging/
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 3rd, 2021, 10:06 am

Still not understanding why and how there can be more flow with the new impellers. There's the same displacement and same RPMs in the pump, right? I could see minor variations between impellers if some weren't sealing correctly as in worn or 'set' impellers) but not a huge change.

Also don't understand the temperature change. If it's raw water cooled and there's MORE water coming out the back that means there's MORE water that could be going through the engine, but the thermostat is opting for it not to go through the engine because it's staying more closed. Is it possible just the thermostat housing is staying cooler and "tricking" the thermostat to think the engine water is cooler than it really is? Where is the gauge temp sensor located relative to the thermostat?

Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » June 3rd, 2021, 11:37 am

My mechanic informed me of increased water flow. He said it is due to the higher flexibility of the blades, creating more suction. This came up when I shared my thoughts with him regarding a more flexible impeller. I thought I would get a little less suction, but he was right! Gauge temp sensor is pretty close to the t-stat housing. The engine is cooling, just running 8 to 10 hotter than when I ran with standard impellers. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Return to “General Boating Discussion”