Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cabinet Advice

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
rtwheeler
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Looking for my next Carver
2006 Mastercraft X15

Cabinet Advice

Postby rtwheeler » January 27th, 2021, 5:05 pm

Alright everyone-
I need some advice.
Took the galley counters out of my 23 Montego to replace them and found the cabinets are rotten. I found where the leak came from but I am going to have to replace the cabinets. Got any ideas? I am including some pics of what they were before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Cabinet Advice

Postby Viper » January 27th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Were you able to save the cabinet so you could use each panel to make a template? If not you'll have to go from scratch. You can either go with the current design or modify to your liking/needs. Just don't use particle board.

rtwheeler
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
2006 Mastercraft X15

Postby rtwheeler » January 27th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Were you able to save the cabinet so you could use each panel to make a template? If not you'll have to go from scratch. You can either go with the current design or modify to your liking/needs. Just don't use particle board.

I did save the old ones. They are good enough to keep for templates, just not good enough to put back in. Im glad I decided to take all of them out to paint so I could discover all the rot!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 27th, 2021, 7:46 pm

You can most likely reuse the doors and drawers.
Get some plywood of the same thickness and a sheet of formica the same color. Build the new frames and glue on the formica.
Assuming you have a table saw, jigsaw and a router.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 27th, 2021, 10:55 pm

What look are you going for? The same or something a little classier IMO like wood? It would be more expensive but less work by doing away with gluing Formica. You can buy finish ply of different finishes; mahogany, teak, etc. You'd still have to deal with edges but that's not difficult. A finishing coat and you're done. You also have the opportunity here to go a little fancier with the counter top. Stone would be too heavy IMO, but a composite one would look cool. Sky's the limit here!

rtwheeler
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
2006 Mastercraft X15

Postby rtwheeler » January 27th, 2021, 11:16 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post What look are you going for? The same or something a little classier IMO like wood? It would be more expensive but less work by doing away with gluing Formica. You can buy finish ply of different finishes; mahogany, teak, etc. You'd still have to deal with edges but that's not difficult. A finishing coat and you're done. You also have the opportunity here to go a little fancier with the counter top. Stone would be too heavy IMO, but a composite one would look cool. Sky's the limit here!

Yes, something a little nicer. I don't want to use the old cabinets at all because of the inset. I just think it looks super dated and the inside of the boat is going very classic. Ive done lots of cabinet work for homes so I am excited to try this. For the counters I am going to do a Corian with flexible bead glue because the boat is going to be trailered. Thanks for all the help!

rtwheeler
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
2006 Mastercraft X15

Postby rtwheeler » January 27th, 2021, 11:19 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post You can most likely reuse the doors and drawers.
Get some plywood of the same thickness and a sheet of formica the same color. Build the new frames and glue on the formica.
Assuming you have a table saw, jigsaw and a router.

I do have the equipment, I am an avid woodworker. Unfortunately, even the drawers were damaged from the water. I am trying my hardest to stay away from the little inset cabinets because it just dates the boat and I am trying to make it look timeless. I appreciate the input!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 28th, 2021, 2:48 am

One thing to keep in mind would be the weight of the finished product...the boat balance should be considered. Have a look at some pics of newer high end boats to get some ideas for your project.....good luck with it and send us some pics as you go.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 28th, 2021, 9:19 am

Remember that it's a boat, not a house and construction methods differ. There will be a lot of vibration so I say stay away from brads, etc. You want good solid joints that won't fall apart when the boat's bouncing around on the road or water. Post some pics throughout the project, I'm sure some folks will find it helpful.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 30th, 2021, 11:49 am

You did find the source of the leak. You may want to get a moisture meter in there to see if you have any water intrusion to the coring. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the new cabinets/counter top. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Return to “General Boating Discussion”