Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bug screens

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
JD36za
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355 Motor Yacht, Mercruiser 454 Gas engines, based in Sarasota, Florida

Bug screens

Postby JD36za » February 7th, 2021, 12:03 pm

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to gat a replacement bug screen for the aft head in my 1998 355 Motor Yacht?
Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Bug screens

Postby Viper » February 7th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Welcome aboard.

If you contact Carver with your hull number, they will give you the supplier information and part number. It's doubtful they are an off the shelf stock item now but they might be able to fabricate them still. I got new screens for all my portholes though Bomar Pompanette even though they stopped manufacturing them decades ago. They were pricey for them to set up for just a few in product but totally worth it for me.

Do you have the long narrow windows or portholes?

JD36za
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355 Motor Yacht, Mercruiser 454 Gas engines, based in Sarasota, Florida

Postby JD36za » February 7th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Thanks for the info, I will follow it up. I have the long narrow kind

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 7th, 2021, 6:22 pm

I'm sure one of the guys with the same model will chime in but have you looked to see if you can remove the sliding screen and replace the screen yourself or are you missing the screen's frame too? If the screen is held in place the same way as the screen in a patio door, you can buy everything you need at a hardware store.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-36-in-x-84-in-Charcoal-Fiberglass-Screen-Kit-with-Spline-and-Roller-3024907/100391974

JD36za
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby JD36za » February 8th, 2021, 9:24 am

Thanks for he suggestion. It's not a sliding screen. It's only about 18 inched long and 9 inches deep and it presses in from the outside, so it is visible. My goal is to match it with the other similar screens for aesthetic reasons, but I suspect I will end up making one, as you suggest.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 8th, 2021, 10:11 am

Sounds like the same screens as my 97 405 have the long widows in the aft cabin and head not port holes. . Mine are mounted in a metal frame that's on the inside not outside. That frame will come out to the inside for replacement of the screen material are you missing the whole frame too?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”