Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Purchased 444, Few questions

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
RussC243
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Purchased 444, Few questions

Postby RussC243 » February 22nd, 2021, 7:58 am

Hi, I just contracted a 2003 444 with Volvo TAMD63's. The broker gave me a recent survey from a deal that fell through so I don't expect any big surprises when I have my own survey done.

There is a list of things I want to fix after I take possession. Most of the list I have a handle on. I am very much a DYI type, long time motor head but never touched a diesel.

1. I want to add the ability to monitor fuel flow. What are my options?
-Can I go with Flow Scan, or does the TAMD63' have a tank return?
-Is there any way to get injector pulse width data from the engine computers? I am a electrical/software engineer by trade and can cobble together and calibrate a flow monitoring system if this data is available from the engine computers and the format of the data is available.

2. How to identify manufacturer and source of a few things I want to replace such as a few cracked access ports (~8" rings with disk that unscrews from ring), A few salon lights that don't light up, various hoses in engine room that a starting to look a bit shabby.

3. What is your normal top speed and RPM ? Previous survey list about 26 MPH at about 2800 RPM, five adults on
board. Fuel tanks read 1/8 aft and 3/4 main tanks. Water gauge read 0/4. Waste gauges read 0/4. A web search suggests that is close to what is expected... perhaps a couple MPH low. This will be that main item I will look for when I have my survey done. Seller is replacing worn cutless bearings before sea trial.

Thank you
Russ

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Purchased 444, Few questions

Postby Tireless » February 22nd, 2021, 6:45 pm

Russ, I have a 2006 Carver 44 CMY. My boat has the Volvo Penta EVC system which was an option. It is electronic and supplies me with a lot of data on my engines and fuel flow is one of them, however injector pulse width data is not one of them. I would expect that your engines will allow you to be able to connect an electronic display directly to your engines. Either a Volvo Penta display or a some other display that would be available, such as Raymarine etc. With the proper wiring and connectors. Google Volvo Penta EVC display and see what’s out there.

As for finding out who the source of this on your boat, contact Carver directly and provide them with your serial number and they will have the spec’s for your boat. Carver 1-920-822-3214. As for mechanical parts, like hoses, filters and other stuff, most Volvo Penta dealers will have access to these.

My boat has the VP D6’s and it does 3600 rpm’s at WOT. I get about 26 MPH at WOT. Depending on the weight of fuel and other factors I can get more. I did my Sea Trial with minimal water and fuel on board and I got it up to 29 MPH. When I am at planning speed, 3200 RPM’s I am travelling at 20 MPH +- depending on weight from fuel, water and my dinghy, consuming 23 G.P.H. (Imperial gallons)

With the spec you provided about your TAMD63’s, with you RPM’s at 2800 your getting 26 mph, it sounds like my spec’s may not assist you very much as I believe my Volvo Penta D6’s a newer version and a different engine, not sure. There are others on this forum that will jump in to assist you.

I see the boat currently has minimal fuel in the auxiliaries. I only fill the aux.’s when I am doing a long crossing and I burn that first. Full aux. tanks create a significant amount of drag which has a tendency to keep the bow up, even with full tabs set for bow down. This can impact your speed from 1-2 MPH. I also have a 12’ foot centre console hanging off the back.

I hope this helps you, and congrats on the purchase. They are a great boat, we love ours.

Greg

RussC243
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby RussC243 » February 23rd, 2021, 7:57 am

Greg,
Thank you for the great response. I looked at adding the EVC but concluded/assumed it needed engine computers from later model years than 2003. I will research that approach again and well as if there is a return line to the tank which I think precludes flow scan. The easiest (and sub $10) approach for me might be to tap/sense the voltage applied to one injector on each engine, measure the pulse widths and display via a 2x16 LCD display.

I will contact Carver to see what items on my list they can help with. Great tip on not filling the tanks as I will typically be making short trips.
Russ

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » February 23rd, 2021, 10:52 am

You can use flow scan with a return line. You have to add a return line sensor for each engine.

RussC243
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby RussC243 » February 25th, 2021, 6:47 am

"tap/sense the voltage applied to one injector on each engine"
After a few hours learning about diesels, I think the TAMD 63's have direct injection rather than common rail injection so there are no wires to tap.

Tom, Thank you... Return line sensors... I don't know how I missed that. Flow Scan shows it in their documentation. That will be my fall back plan if I hit a brick wall getting data from the engine computers.

As is usually the case, others had my same goals and took the time to share. While researching the EVC approach, I came across this article linked below of someone who went down the same path. So now I can jump to my end goal. I 1st thought the format was J1939 but it is probably J1708. I will wait until I take delivery of the boat and see exactly what interface is available from the engine computers.

https://panbo.com/yacht-devices-j1708-e ... nmea-2000/

Russ

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 25th, 2021, 9:14 am

Russ, maybe you have found this already but in case you haven't....there is a site/forum called boatdiesel...all things diesel, lots of good info.....good luck with your project.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

RussC243
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby RussC243 » February 25th, 2021, 9:21 am

Bud, Many of my searches led me there. I will probably pry $25 out of my wallet to join soon. :captain2:
Thank you

Return to “General Boating Discussion”