Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New member, new boat, 1 question

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 carver montego 528

New member, new boat, 1 question

Postby C0ps » June 8th, 2021, 9:32 pm

Hi All. Used to be a bayliner boat owner. Now purchasing a carver which brings me to my question. Would you guys buy a 1992 carver montego 528 boat that hit a rock and requires new sterndrive bravo 1 or 2? Boat is clean and good condition besides cracking the sterdrive. Needs upper lower and transom. So basically new sterndrive. Price 6,000. Your expert advice will be much appreciated.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: New member, new boat, 1 question

Postby tomschauer » June 8th, 2021, 9:45 pm

Two years ago, you could have bought that bought for 5k in good running condition. Covid drove prices up crazy.
If you need a full stern drive, and most likely a gimbal housing also, that's a good 5k plus labor. I would also look very closely for transom damage.
I personally would walk away very swiftly, but it is of course, a personal choice.

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby C0ps » June 8th, 2021, 10:04 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Two years ago, you could have bought that bought for 5k in good running condition. Covid drove prices up crazy.
If you need a full stern drive, and most likely a gimbal housing also, that's a good 5k plus labor. I would also look very closely for transom damage.
I personally would walk away very swiftly, but it is of course, a personal choice.

Wow 5 k sounds awsome for a running boat. Mind you I'm canadian so 6k is like 4k American lol. Problem here in Ontario is the cheapest CLEAN boat you can find is 15,ooo for a boat in its late 80's

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 9th, 2021, 6:51 am

Welcome aboard.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 9th, 2021, 7:16 am

C0ps wrote:Source of the post....requires new sterndrive bravo 1 or 2? ....Needs upper lower and transom. So basically new sterndrive. Price 6,000......
I'm curious where you're getting a "new" Mercruiser Bravo drive for $6,000! A rebuilt or aftermarket copy maybe but not a new OEM. Also, what part of the transom assembly are you talking about? A new gimbal ring for example is about $2K. You're over $10K easy for OEM and that doesn't include labour.

You better be getting the boat for next to nothing from a strictly financial point of view, but only you can decide what is financially reasonable for your set of circumstances. We always say that one should take the emotions out of buying a boat but we all know there ends up being more to it than that. Unfortunately now isn't the best time to buy as the demand is high, it will be when the pandemic is over though and people can safely travel and congregate again. At that time, folks that bought boats and RVs on a whim as getaways will likely sell and flood the market which usually results in lower prices. I suspect next year and the year after will see a lot of inventory at great prices but it's hard to wait.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 9th, 2021, 8:12 am

Former 5 time Bayliner owner here. Hope everything works out well for you.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby C0ps » June 9th, 2021, 9:12 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post
C0ps wrote:Source of the post....requires new sterndrive bravo 1 or 2? ....Needs upper lower and transom. So basically new sterndrive. Price 6,000......
I'm curious where you're getting a "new" Mercruiser Bravo drive for $6,000! A rebuilt or aftermarket copy maybe but not a new OEM. Also, what part of the transom assembly are you talking about? A new gimbal ring for example is about $2K. You're over $10K easy for OEM and that doesn't include labour.

You better be getting the boat for next to nothing from a strictly financial point of view, but only you can decide what is financially reasonable for your set of circumstances. We always say that one should take the emotions out of buying a boat but we all know there ends up being more to it than that. Unfortunately now isn't the best time to buy as the demand is high, it will be when the pandemic is over though and people can safely travel and congregate again. At that time, folks that bought boats and RVs on a whim as getaways will likely sell and flood the market which usually results in lower prices. I suspect next year and the year after will see a lot of inventory at great prices but it's hard to wait.

Thank you for your opinion I really do appreciate it. The 6k is what I'm buying the boat for. I'm expecting to spend another 10k to fix. Am I crazy? You can't find nothing in its 90's unless you spend 20+ k

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 9th, 2021, 9:28 am

I think I would get a good surveyor to go over the boat before deciding on this, there could be hidden things there that require some expertise to uncover, especially with possible impact......just my opinion....good luck with your search.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 9th, 2021, 9:55 am

Is the actual transom of the hull damaged, or just the transom mount for the outdrive? Did the boat take on water, and if so, how much damage from that?

I'm all for 'project' boats, but just be reasonably sure what you're digging yourself in for.

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby C0ps » June 9th, 2021, 11:14 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Is the actual transom of the hull damaged, or just the transom mount for the outdrive? Did the boat take on water, and if so, how much damage from that?

I'm all for 'project' boats, but just be reasonably sure what you're digging yourself in for.

Hi, transom mount. Transom looks solid and the boat did not take in water. I'll look into finding a surveyor up there in north bay. It's a 3 hour drive for me.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”