Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

time for a new tender, comments on brands please

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 MY
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

time for a new tender, comments on brands please

Postby Cliffm » June 15th, 2021, 11:09 am

Our 2005 vintage Mercury 270 fiberglass RIB has resumed "un-gluing" itself. We're looking for a replacement and leaning towards a 280-300 Ultra lite aluminum rib single hull style for weight savings and durability in rocky shorelines in PNW area.

We have weaver snap davits on our 2006 36MY swim step, but would like to get Weaver front and transom ARC mounts, avoiding the "glue on pad" scenario for "on-side" transport that our Mercury had.

1: We found a Zodiac cadet 300 alu at Pacific Inflatable boats in Fife WA that seems competitively priced for PVC unit, feedback appreciated from those that have had contact/dealings with this brand/dealership.

2: We found AB 10UL at waypoint marine, but only in Hypolon, and is narrower than Zodiac or HighField, and is raw aluminum, not powder coated. again, feedback about model and dealership appreciated. Any issues with Hylolon/Alu delaminating ?

3: We are looking for a local source for a Highfield 290UL in PVC in Seattle area, but are unable to find one? any tips? Any current user reviews and feedback?

I've read numerous horror stories of failures of zodiacs in the Florida/Caribbean waters, but want to know about "recent" experiences of more northern/PNW users?

Cliff
2006 36MY
"the Condo"
EBM

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: time for a new tender, comments on brands please

Postby bud37 » June 15th, 2021, 8:22 pm

We have had a few dinks over the years......An older Zodiac 310 rib....after years the tubes came unglued one too many times. An inflatable keel soft bottom 310 with an aluminum floor, it was ok , can't remember the name right now. Traded that for a new Highfield CL310 with the bow locker etc...now that was nice, rode good, light, flat floor and lots of room, but we sold all so never got to get much use from it, was hanging on a Dinghy caddy set up. They were all PVC.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » June 16th, 2021, 11:02 am

Thanks for that, I'm leaning towards a Highfield 290UL as well, as it has a pad in bow for external gas tank tie-down. If we get to that. It also has 17" tubes and comes with keel guard installed.

Locally there's a deal on zodiac cadet 300al, but I can't seem to shake the number of negative comments around these smaller zodiacs failing in 1-3yrs, so I'm hesitant on purchasing a new one now.

I'm really interested in PVC performance in the PNW, as it's a significant cost difference from a hypolon version.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » June 17th, 2021, 10:04 am

Check out Achilles inflatables. There is a dealer in Everett. Mine is Hypolon as PVC would not last where I boat.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Cliffm
First Mate
First Mate
"the Condo"
VP 8.1Gi-F

Postby Cliffm » June 17th, 2021, 11:04 am

AaHubb wrote:Source of the post Check out Achilles inflatables. There is a dealer in Everett. Mine is Hypolon as PVC would not last where I boat.
..Aaron

thanks! will do

Return to “General Boating Discussion”