Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Refrigerator Not Cooling Good

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Refrigerator Not Cooling Good

Postby Rocketman » July 26th, 2021, 8:27 am

2009 Sojourn with Nova Kool RFU8000 Refrigerator.
Freezer holds at about 20 degrees. This is not cold enough to keep ice-cream frozen.
Fridge holds at about 35 degrees on the top shelf right next to the cooling plate.
Lower shelf is at 40 degrees or more.
These temps are after overnight of not opening the unit.
During the day while using the fridge will get up to 40-45 degrees on the top shelf.
Ice takes a good 12 hours to freeze if not longer.
Cabin temps are below 70 when running the A/C and about 80 to 85 max before we start cooling it back off.
Good ventilation around the unit.
I have checked the coils and they are good and clean.
Does not seem to matter if on AC or DC power.
Thermostat set to max. Has new thermostat as I thought maybe that was the problem.

I am wanting to replace with a new unit that will work more like a home fridge (close to 0 in freezer and hold 35 everywhere in the fridge). Thinking about the Vitrifrigo as they seem to have the best reviews.

Thoughts?

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Refrigerator Not Cooling Good

Postby g36 » July 26th, 2021, 8:39 am

I have a vitrifrigo and have no problems keeping ice cream cold and solid. My thermostat on it is set a little past 1/2 way. Keeps up with cold Temps even on 90+ days with no ac on while floating in the water all day., nothing like ice cream on a hot summer day. :-D
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
RobGunn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
"FINALLY"

Postby RobGunn » July 26th, 2021, 10:37 am

Is the freezer all full of frost? I just had issues with my Norcold fridge due to the door seals not sealing and letting the freezer get all forested up and then caused warm temperature issues. New door seals and a total unit defrost and now I am back in business. :-D

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 26th, 2021, 10:50 am

Not sure if the Nova Kools have service ports, but I had to refill a friend's Isotherm this year. It was a 2015 model and was low on refrigerant. Couldn't find any leaks anywhere but there must be a tiny one somewhere. Was working great up until the end of last year.

And definitely check those door seals as RobGunn says. Just a TINY leak in the freezer section can make a HUGE difference!

Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Postby Rocketman » July 26th, 2021, 10:53 am

Doors are sealing good. I have checked.
Frost - not to the point that it needs defrosting yet.

G36 - does your virtifrigo seem to be consist temps throughout or is it warmer at the bottom of the fridge?
Do they have a cirulation fan inside the fridge to maintain constant temps?
The NovaKool does not and I think that is one of the problems. When it gets cold enough up top - the bottom is still warm for a fridge.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 26th, 2021, 11:05 am

I've not had any problems with temps in fridge, cold air of course will fall down from the freezer, there is not a oem circulation fan in the chamber. I've used different ones in my rv fridge and they can help some hadn't really seen a need so far in this one. Does yours have freezer on the bottom? I can see that having a harder time in a boat or rv. Mine has freezer on top I have this one....https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1262894
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 26th, 2021, 11:15 am

Give Nova Kool a call. These guys are great when it comes to communication. Have spoken to them a few times in the past. https://www.novakool.com/
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Rocketman » July 26th, 2021, 11:37 am

G36 - Yes, my freezer is on the bottom. There are cooling plates in the freezer and in the fridge. But only 1 thermostat in the fridge part.
I tried putting a battery fan in the fridge for a while but it really did not help much.

Midnightsun - I will try giving Novakool a call.

Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Postby uchu » July 31st, 2021, 7:45 pm

RobGunn wrote:Source of the post Is the freezer all full of frost? I just had issues with my Norcold fridge due to the door seals not sealing and letting the freezer get all forested up and then caused warm temperature issues. New door seals and a total unit defrost and now I am back in business. :-D

+1 on this. My almost-vintage motorhome has its original Norcold unit and a while ago developed issues which were solved by changing the door seals. Also, I noticed that a good "reboot" (turning the unit off and waiting about 24h before turning it on again) worked to get it fully functional again.

Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Rocketman » August 2nd, 2021, 8:08 am

Fridge definitely has a problem.
I went ahead and defrosted (even thought it did not need it).
Temp at the very back top shelf is holding at 35 degrees. 2nd shelf is at 40 and 3rd shelf is at 45.
And that was with not a lot of stuff in there (some drinks and a 1/2 gallon of milk laid on its side at the back).
Freezer is holding at about 10 degrees and takes ice about 12 hours to freeze.
Thermostat is on 7 (max).
No air flow or any moisture around seals so no leak there.
I am thinking the compressor is starting to go out and it is just not cooling good enough. Even though compressor sounds fine it is running 100% of the time.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”