Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Marine Binoculars

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Marine Binoculars

Postby Midnightsun » October 21st, 2021, 6:34 am

A good set of binoculars on board is a must IMHO. I have had a set of 18 x 50 stabilized Canon binos on board for about a decade. https://www.canon.ca/en/product?name=18 ... Binoculars They are the reference stabilized units which all want to surpass. They are rather big and heavy but they do work well. Why stabilized? A boat moves way too much and if you want any decent magnification, non stabilized will be rather useless on most occasions especially while under way.

New kid on the block, Kite Optics. High quality, made in Japan. Oddly enough not available in the USA and very limited suppliers in Canada. Quite prevalent in the rest of the world though. Got my set a few weeks ago and oh my, these are the ones Canon needs to beat now. Much smaller lighter and the stabilization is amazing. Fully waterproof, 30 year warranty however electronics are only 2 years. Can be had for $1565 CDN which is a steal as I paid $2,000 US for the Canons about 10 years ago although prices have come down on these as they age.

https://www.kiteoptics.com/en/nature/pr ... ilized-42/

This is where I got mine. https://khanscope.com/collections/kite- ... s-kost1642
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Marine Binoculars

Postby g36 » October 21st, 2021, 8:45 am

Yeah I've got some Canon binos with image stabilization and there great, won't go back. I'm getting older too which isn't helping did you just want a early Christmas present or a smaller pair or where you having issues with your canons?.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 21st, 2021, 9:09 am

The Canons work like they did day 1 however after about 10 years the rubber outside finish has started to deteriorate. Not an issue for usability though. My wife finds them heavy and bulky which they are and the new Kite solved all those issues + some. My daughter will appreciate the Canons for bird watching at home. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Wales
womide
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross

Postby womide » May 24th, 2022, 11:58 am

My experience with canon is so good.

I also thought back and forth about whether I should buy the big version 18 x 50 but decided on the 2421U50 12 x 36 IS III model. Once because it was well 400€ cheaper comma, the second reason the weight and volume are about half. If you take a closer look at the magnification on the website of Canon, then you notice that the magnification between 12 and 18 times is no longer so huge.

I used the glass more often to watch planes or to look around in Denmark in peace on the beach. There you can see what a significant added value stability means. If you look with the binoculars in the distance, it wobbles uncannily and you don't concentrate, but if you press on the stabilization with these binoculars it does where “flupp,,” and the picture is so to speak, and you can look around in peace... it's just indescribable that you have to have experienced. Only through the stabilization, you can look at yourself in a distant distance in peace, and even license plates from about 1 km away with moving cars recognize it, it is simply incredible.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”