Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Heating/AC to Fly Bridge?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
dirtdoc1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2013 Carver C34

Heating/AC to Fly Bridge?

Postby dirtdoc1 » January 5th, 2014, 12:17 am

Has anyone figured out a clean way to run heat/AC to the fly bridge? Maybe the bigger Carvers already have that but I'm getting a baby C34 in a couple of weeks and I'm concerned about freezing my ass off in the winter. I boat year round and in my 25' Skip Jack sport cruiser the engine covers were in the cockpit where the helm was. With the canvass completely enclosing that area the heat from the engines kept it nice and toasty even on freezing cold days. I'm concerned about being up on the fly bridge even with a complete enclosure. :captain:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

One Cold Captain

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Heating/AC to Fly Bridge?

Postby waybomb » January 5th, 2014, 9:39 am

Webasto may make a heater running on fuel you could use. They also make small A/C units that you may be able to squeeze in somewhere. Youd jhave to figure out a path for the water hoses though.

I've read that Carver had installed resistance heaters in some of the ir boats earlier, like in 2005 or so, as cabin heaters instead of using the revrese mode on an ac unit. Maybe you could call Carver and find out what units were installed. I would guess thay are boat-safe. May need to increase your electric service to do so.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

MissWhit's
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby MissWhit's » January 6th, 2014, 5:51 pm

DirtDoc1,
I had a 3075 Cruisers and I wanted to heat the cabin without running the reverse heat unit as it was loud while running. I installed a wall mount BROAN bathroom heater in the cabin right under where the seating was and it worked very well. In the C34 you might consider using two units spread across the area and as long as you have cavity space at the mounting location they will fit as they only have about 4-6 inches of mounting depth. Are they safe? I see why not as you are not in a flammable area like an engine compartment and they do not emit carbon monoxide either. Check with your local Lowe's or Home Depot as this is where I purchased mine. I do not believe the current draw is too high either so you might get away with running 10awg from the power panel to the two units but check with your local licensed electrician first. If 10awg is not large enough then you might be able to run 8awg to one unit then split off with 10awg for the second unit. Another consideration is the length of wire run from the shore panel.
MissWhit's
Lake Texoma, Denison TX
Port: EYC Marina
2001 406 twin 380HP 454 MPI

Topic author
dirtdoc1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2013 Carver C34

Postby dirtdoc1 » January 11th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Thanks for your suggestions I will follow up on them. I was watching different videos of the C34 Fly and noticed in one of the videos that there was what looked like a vent/register at the upper helm. My guess is that if you get the A/C option they run a vent to the upper helm. I may not have to worry about it after all. I will find out soon enough. The boat is being shipped next week but will have to spend some time in quarantine due to the CA importation rules regarding mussels. If you are bringing in a boat that has been in the water they want to make sure that any mussels that are attached to the hull are dead so as not to contaminate the CA waterways with animals not native to the area.

Cheers!

Return to “General Boating Discussion”