Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Headliner Repair

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
TARDIS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 396, twin 370 HP Cummins

Headliner Repair

Postby TARDIS » April 16th, 2022, 11:13 am

I have a 2001 Carver 396. I need to repair a portion of the vinyl headliner in the aft cabin. I received a $9,000 quote from a guy who was going to redo the ceiling using formica. I thought this was too high so I want to explore options for doing it myself. My current thought is to create two panels that run from side to side. This refreshes the ceiling and provides me with access to wiring, etc that is currently covered by the vinyl.

The shape is a trapezoid that is ~32" on each side; ~75" in the front; and ~80" at the other end. I am thinking about using marine vinyl with spray-on contact cement over formica for the two panels. This gives some rigidity and keeps a consistent vinyl look. I would trim it out with wood finished to match the existing Carver wood interior. My second option is to do the whole section with wood (probably tongue & grove sections) and finish it like the current interior. If I go the second route I don't think I will have the same access panel capability.

I appreciate your feedback, especially if it a simplier approach!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Headliner Repair

Postby km1125 » April 16th, 2022, 11:53 am

TARDIS wrote:Source of the post ....quote from a guy who was going to redo the ceiling using formica. ...

My first thought on that is YUCK!! And regardless what he's using... $9K sounds like he should be doing it in gold plated parts!! :)

Real headliner material does have some sound absorbing qualities that might come in handy in a cabin. What's in there now? My aft had a real headliner material, that was stapled to a couple boards and stretched from end to end. Then there was wood trim around the edges. I would have done the same thing as OEM if I had to replace it.

TARDIS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TARDIS » April 16th, 2022, 12:56 pm

Perfect Reply "Yuck". The current headliner is the original vinyl from the factory. i'm not sure I can reproduce what the factory installed.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 16th, 2022, 5:52 pm

Poke around on Amazon for "marine headliner material" There are several choices there, some perforated and some not. Some have a thin foam backing.

Is the current headliner glued in place on some solid surface, or is it "hung"?

TARDIS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TARDIS » April 17th, 2022, 1:39 am

Stretched tight and hung. Good suggestion on the search term...thanks.

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » April 17th, 2022, 8:49 am

Here are some links for fabrics. I haven't ordered fabrics from any of these places. I have ordered a couple of items from JT Outdoor fabrics. Service was good.

https://www.trivantage.com/
https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/
https://jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » April 17th, 2022, 3:27 pm

Sailrite.com
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
hlfm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1980 Santa Cruz ‘28

Postby hlfm » April 18th, 2022, 4:40 pm

Agree completely with g36's comment "Sailrite.com". I've been using them for several canvas and vinyl projects. Their website functions so well, they pretty much carry anything I can think of and more, and they have instructional videos that have gotten me through everything I attempted. I think it's the only site I've bothered leaving feedback for. Sometimes I watch the videos instead of television, although the narration gets to me after awhile. I was actually just about to log in and order something I can't remember the name of, but they have it.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » May 6th, 2023, 9:43 am

Bumping this up as we also have a 396 (2002 model year) that I just found a leak in the aft cabin ceiling. As such, I want to pull the ceiling down to be able to identify the source of the leak and make the necessary repairs.

My initial "look-see" of the construction did not reveal an obvious way to pull the ceiling panels down. Any other owners of similar models have any insight on dropping the ceiling panels without destroying them? I'd like to reuse them and not replace if there is no significant water damage/mold/etc behind them. Photos would be amazing if you have them!

Thanks in advance!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
dwynalda
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 444

Postby dwynalda » December 16th, 2023, 6:42 pm

KyleR wrote:Bumping this up as we also have a 396 (2002 model year) that I just found a leak in the aft cabin ceiling. As such, I want to pull the ceiling down to be able to identify the source of the leak and make the necessary repairs.

My initial "look-see" of the construction did not reveal an obvious way to pull the ceiling panels down. Any other owners of similar models have any insight on dropping the ceiling panels without destroying them? I'd like to reuse them and not replace if there is no significant water damage/mold/etc behind them. Photos would be amazing if you have them!

Thanks in advance!

Would love to know how you figured this out (if you did) as I have a 444 with the same problem. Would love to know how to take down the ceiling.

I suspect the water is coming from up by the arch/hardtop and coming down inside the aft deck area. I have a soft spot in the floor inside the port side door ... And I'm pretty sure it's related.

Water comes in both sides on my 444 and pours down just inside the doors from the hardtop corner.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”