Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Safety Equipment Check

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Safety Equipment Check

Postby Midnightsun » May 25th, 2022, 7:45 pm

Have neglected this as we do not use these items unless all hell breaks loose. Kinda like that spare tire in your car which is probably at 4 psi if your lucky enough to have an older car that still has a spare that is. :confused:

Checked the dates on my flares and saw they expired in 2019. :-( I know they are still functional however one needs to abide by the expiry dates if verified and there is a minute chance a couple will not work. Just a friendly reminder. :captain2:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Safety Equipment Check

Postby pepmyster » May 26th, 2022, 5:59 am

Very good reminder. I'm sure mine, now that you said it, are most probably expired as well.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 26th, 2022, 8:38 am

There is also a fine for out of date flares if you are on water checked by the CG or the OPP........much higher in the USA.

Fire extinguishers is another item they will check.....there are some changes to the regs around 38-39 feet so be careful here as well.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 26th, 2022, 9:18 am

Here are the requirements for Canada, maybe someone can list the US requirements?

https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/file ... p_511e.pdf

40' and over gets rather weird as I need the normal stuff but it goes from 6 flares to 12 and then an axe? and at least 2 buckets capable of holding at least 10 litres. Really scratching my head on the Axe thing.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » May 26th, 2022, 10:14 am

I've forgone the flares completely in favor of a battery powered beacon and a day emergency flag. A fresh set of batteries each spring and I'm good for the year. Its been accepted in the US for several years now but I don't know about Canada.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 26th, 2022, 10:30 am

Canada does not accept electronic flares because we are still in the ice age here when it comes to boating requirements. I do have one as a personal choice however according to transport Canada it is useless. There is a bunch of stuff you guys in the states can use be we cannot.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 26th, 2022, 11:03 am

I still think it's absurd that in over 50 years we can't certify flares for more than 3 years at a time. That's no guarantee they'll work either, within that window. If they're not properly cared for they might not work months after manufacture but if you store them well they could easily last 10 years.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 26th, 2022, 11:20 am

OMG, Canada has got you beat. In the US your flares are good for 42 months, Canada is 48 months. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » May 26th, 2022, 3:06 pm

you don't have to replace all do you? just add a fresh one and each year you fire off the oldest at new years eve...
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 26th, 2022, 3:59 pm

Flares are cheap, in any on water emergency you could have only a very few minutes at most to react so having fresh flares is a must so as not to waste precious time fooling with old stuff that may not fire off.

This applies to where your life jackets are stowed, and remember self inflatable jackets have a life as well.

The trick is trying to buy the freshest you can, sometimes they are 6months old already on the marina shelf.....be proactive and buy before expiry date if possible.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”