Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Free Gas

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Free Gas

Postby Midnightsun » June 3rd, 2022, 11:22 am

Not exactly but free energy none the less. Nice surprise when we pulled into the marina this year. They installed several of these in the town where our Marina is located. This one is in the marina parking lot so really convenient for us. Third time I have used the chargers. Being a very small town, there are hardly any EVs here and the stalls are always empty which I am sure will change as time goes on. The trip out to the marina is a good 2 hour drive at highway speed and that would be at 120kph+ all the way. Needless to say a top off of electrons is nice before we return home especially when it is free. Will help offset the cost of boat gas :-D

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Free Gas

Postby km1125 » June 3rd, 2022, 11:29 am

Well, certainly not FREE, but just FREE TO YOU.

Would be great if the government provided free gasoline to everybody too, except we all know (or should know) that doing things like that makes it MORE EXPENSIVE FOR EVERYBODY.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 3rd, 2022, 11:59 am

It's really not expensive, electrical that is. The only time I do not charge at home or the office (free) is when we go to the marina. We are fortunate in Quebec because electricity is really cheap. I pay .0455/kwh which equates to around $4 to fill the battery. Now compare giving away a couple of dollars to filling a gas tank at around $100 + $ a tank. I would not mind having to pay for this charger which is $2.50 to use no matter how much you put in. Some places can charge $1/hour, regardless, cheap. Fast charging like filling up in 20 minutes costs quite a bit more but still cheap compared to gas. Bottom line is cost me around $5 in electricity to travel around 500km to and from the marina and that is not even considering a free top off at the marina.

What I do see as unfair is I pay no carbon or road tax which is baked into a percentage of every litre of gas we buy. I am sure this will change but for early EV adopters its a freebee for now.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 3rd, 2022, 1:07 pm

There is absolutely no FREE ( and by free , I mean monetary wise or without consequence) energy of any kind on this planet that science as we know it is aware of...... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 3rd, 2022, 2:12 pm

When summer comes along and I no longer need to heat my home, I would call that free energy. :-D Unfortunately when it gets too hot I screw that all up by using AC. Point is, it's a heck of a lot cheaper in summer than winter to make my home comfortable so yes there is FREE energy.

Enough useless talk, need to get back into the bilge. :captain2:
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » June 3rd, 2022, 3:33 pm

EUR 0,49 per kWh over here...
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 3rd, 2022, 4:24 pm

Phrancus wrote:Source of the post EUR 0,49 per kWh over here...

Ouch, more than 10x my cost. Then again I am quite familiar with EU pricing. I once borrowed a friends apartment in Switzerland, she had me shut down the router when I left every day to conserve electricity costs, just not used to that over here. I know there are places in California where they pay up to .51/KWH probably because it causes cancer in California. :popcorn:

Back to the bilge. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » June 5th, 2022, 9:15 am

Just looked up our rate for electricity. We pay $0.09324. Don't have an electric vehicle but have thought about it. The round trip would be about the same as your's Midnight Sun. However the marina is in Ontario and I believe their hydro rates are ridiculous.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 5th, 2022, 9:25 am

Off peak average in Ontario now is 8.2 cents/ Kwh.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 5th, 2022, 9:51 am

However the marina is in Ontario and I believe their hydro rates are ridiculous

Our marina is also in Ontario where the city of Prescott has elected to supply no charge charging for EVs. Notice how I changed the wording to no charge. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Boating Discussion”