Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Is this just dirt?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 2896

Is this just dirt?

Postby Ctmangrum » July 4th, 2022, 5:34 pm

This started showing up on my boat recently. Comes off with some serious scrubbing. Whats the best way to get rid of it? Power wash? Chemical then scrub? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Is this just dirt?

Postby bud37 » July 4th, 2022, 6:34 pm

Looks like a mildew......it gets into the porous gelcoat. Try a small area with some weak bleach and water solution in a spray bottle, rub with soft brush then rinse off with hose. You should see it fade and disappear..try a weak solution first in small areas till you get the hang of it......then seal it with a good cleaner wax. That is the way I used to do an old boat we had, it came up nice and white without sanding off gelcoat which is never good with an older boat.

It will return especially on the damp side of the boat if you don't stay ahead of it every now and again.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 4th, 2022, 6:41 pm

A pressure wash will also get rid of it but as mentioned, a mild bleach solution will keep it at bay.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » July 5th, 2022, 6:41 am

Pressure wash is not always as harmless in the long run as many think. I'd use that bleach solution - but carefull when you spray it: not only to where it lands where it will bleach but also for your lungs and eyes. A wet towel does the job too. Point is to give it time to bleach before it dries up. Rinse with clean water, mind that the runoff water can still bleach....

Filling the pores with a wax can help a bit but obviously pay special attention to the walking areas so you do something to have some grip there.....
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 5th, 2022, 8:45 am

I agree about the pressure wash........something I have never used on a boat. In the wrong hands they can damage gel, get under sealers and caulking, blow stuff everywhere ( slip neighbours ) and the noise !!.......my considered opinion.
We just used old cloths to catch the drips then when you wash with lots of water all is well........the bleach breaks down quite quickly after contact with organic matter and sunlight.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 5th, 2022, 9:47 am

Maybe I should have been more specific regarding the pressure wash. Do not use a 3000psi gas powered unit as this is way too strong. Personally I have one on board, pretty small and pretty quiet which does a good job and obviously no more powerful than a 110v outlet will allow and in comparison to gas is rather weak. Do not hold the nozzle an inch from your work, stay at least 6 inches away for the really tough areas and farther for general cleaning. I have mistakenly run it over my bare foot once while cleaning, did not even break the skin or cause any pain however it did scare me. That being said it is used once or twice a year and 99% of this is on the nonskid surface which we all know is a bear to clean. This is what I carry. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001662889

Found this which is seems to be similar in performance and noise to the one I have however I think the Ryobi is a little smaller.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Postby Carpediem » July 5th, 2022, 10:42 am

Starbright makes a non-skid cleaner polish that many sing the praises of. I have used it as well and find that it works well to remove the black stains and it helps keep them from returning if applied at each end of the season. It is also imperative to rinse the boat down every chance you have to keep the dust and mold spores off the surface. Most boats that wave these issues just don't get the regular care that is required so the issues are allowed to build until it is a real chore to deal with. It is just a part of boat ownership, the struggle of dividing the time of enjoying the boat with family and toiling to keep it looking as nice as possible. No one is immune!
Carpe Diem
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » July 5th, 2022, 10:47 am

The pressure washer I have is low pressure and nothing im worried about. Ill try a little bleach and look for that starbrite sealer. I have deck cleaner but no sealer. Thanks for all the advice.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 5th, 2022, 10:56 am

The Starbrite stuff does work well however what makes it work is simply the bleach they have in it, no magic going on there. Very effective and recommended product though.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » July 5th, 2022, 11:16 am

You think its good as a preventive measure? Does it have something that will block it?

Return to “General Boating Discussion”