Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Boat Insurance

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Re: Boat Insurance

Postby denpooch » August 20th, 2022, 8:19 pm

Thanks again everyone.
I guess the thing that has thrown me for a loop is the price increase over my old policy.
I live in downstate New York and the previous company (Safe Harbor) got out of the marine insurance business. I was paying in the neighborhood of $750.00/year USD.
Now the quotes are coming in at $1,800 to over $3,000/ year! Some of the companies are demanding a new 'out of water' survey which will run me north of $1,000.00 USD. This is nuts!
Perhaps Safe Harbor went out of the marine insurance biz because they were not charging enough. Who knows.
In any event, I suppose it's all about the pleasure we get from our love of boating and the cost of doing business!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 21st, 2022, 12:53 am

I also have Markel.
The only issue I have with them is they want a survey every five years.
The good news is, I had my boat insured for 60k, my survey early this year listed my boat at 82k.
I believe I pay about $1200/yr.
Where is boat is docked and where you cruise makes a big difference in cost.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 21st, 2022, 8:34 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post The only issue I have with them is they want a survey every five years.
The good news is, I had my boat insured for 60k, my survey early this year listed my boat at 82k.

Will they now insure it for the full value as noted on the survey at the same price or will it be insured at the market value with no increase ?

Our old yacht policies were like that except if you had a newer boat then the year span was longer, but we always had agreed value. Along time ago you could get new for old, we had a marina fire and quite a few sailors got brand new boat value for their older ones......the boat sizes in the marina got suddenly longer and wider... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 21st, 2022, 10:08 am

They will insure it at the higher value, but for a higher cost. I think it was an additional $120/yr

Return to “General Boating Discussion”