Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Chain to Anchor Connector

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizon engines

Chain to Anchor Connector

Postby Mikwallace » November 6th, 2022, 9:15 pm

Here’s a picture of the Chain to Anchor Connector.

43B1D916-3CA5-40EA-9965-53CB6A153041.jpeg

Is this the correct way to make the connection between the chain and anchor?

I understand it’ll swivel and allow the anchor to be correctly positioned for the cradle. But it just looks like there’s a lot of weight placed on that bolt between the swivels. When the boat is anchored that one bolt is the weakest point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’
1998 Chaparral 2330 7.4 L Mercruiser
2003 Chaparral 260 Ssi 8.1 L VolvoPenta DuoProp
1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizons
:captain2:
:usa:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Chain to Anchor Connector

Postby Viper » November 7th, 2022, 6:39 am

There are better designs on the market but as long as yours is swiveling, there is no pitting from corrosion, and is properly rated for your load, you should be good. You want it to be the biggest unit that will fit in your chain and anchor.

You could clean things up a bit by ditching the rope and using a short piece of chain or cable with quick links and attach one end to the cleat and the other to the anchor end. This will serve to secure the anchor while it's up and take the load off the windlass when the anchor is deployed. The load should never be on the windlass. This setup must also be rated for the expected load. There is a stop available on the market for this but it doesn't look like you have enough room to install it.

The eyes in the shackle bolts of the swivel are there so you can install SS mechanic's wire to prevent the bolts from unwinding. This is a must to help prevent losing your gear.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 7th, 2022, 7:41 am

I like simple, just a regular galvanized anchor shackle largest to fit the chain, installed properly ( there is a right way ) will work just fine.....like said, ss mechanics wire to lock it is a must. Also a good shackle will allow movement from side to side of the chain against the anchor when it is set in the bottom.....that swivel you have has way less scope and it is almost impossible to check that bolt/pin for stress failure IMO. The failure would likely be from side loads/prying as opposed to a straight pull which is less than you think.

The important part is how the system works with the anchor on the bottom , it is easy enough to get the anchor over the roller with some attention, but these swivels are also for lessening chain twist.

After all this there are some very nice swivel type shackle systems on the market that have good reviews and tests.....Mantus would be one example that comes to mind.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Mikwallace » November 7th, 2022, 10:13 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post ………

You could clean things up a bit by ditching the rope and using a short piece of chain or cable with quick links and attach one end to the cleat and the other to the anchor end………...

Are “D-rings” the quick links you refer to?

I agree it needs organizing under that hatch. And I’ll get around to it, just lower on the priority list right now. I just don’t want to lose that anchor before I get to that item on my checklist!

Thanks for the info!!
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’

Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Mikwallace » November 7th, 2022, 10:29 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post I like simple, just a regular galvanized anchor shackle largest to fit the chain, installed properly ( there is a right way ) will work just fine.....like said, ss mechanics wire to lock it is a must. Also a good shackle will allow movement from side to side of the chain against the anchor when it is set in the bottom.....that swivel you have has way less scope and it is almost impossible to check that bolt/pin for stress failure IMO. The failure would likely be from side loads/prying as opposed to a straight pull which is less than you think.

The important part is how the system works with the anchor on the bottom , it is easy enough to get the anchor over the roller with some attention, but these swivels are also for lessening chain twist.

After all this there are some very nice swivel type shackle systems on the market that have good reviews and tests.....Mantus would be one example that comes to mind.

Thanks!! Mantus has some good reading. And I never knew that these anchors were so $$$$$$ !! Last anchor I bought was for my 26’ ski boat, 8#, I think?? But the anchors for my size boat are much much more $$$. All the more reason to pay attention to the setup! Definitely don’t want to pull a rode and chain up without the anchor $$$$$ !!!
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » November 18th, 2022, 6:25 pm

I would not trust your current set up. I had a similar set-up on a mooring and it failed in a 'blow' and the boat wound up on the beach.
I have a Mantus swivel and feel secure on the hook. The design is excellent.
They are currently running a 20% discount.

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-swivel/

Return to “General Boating Discussion”