Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Ontario new regulations of camping on water.

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 carver montego 528

Ontario new regulations of camping on water.

Postby C0ps » March 1st, 2023, 8:06 pm

have you guys in Ontario been aware of these proposed changes? https://wildgreatlakes.com/2023/03/01/o ... -YmS5vQrcs

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: Ontario new regulations of camping on water.

Postby pepmyster » March 2nd, 2023, 6:36 am

Seems they are attacking those floating cottages that are placed along the shore lines during summer. We see a lot of them in the Thousand Islands. Someone must of complained about them occupying area around some summer cottages. Our boats don't have to worry about this. Interesting.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 2nd, 2023, 7:09 am

That's crazy :censored: It seems instead of helping it, they're doing their best to destroy the industry. Between taxing the hell out of imports, reduced lock hours, and now restrictions on where we can and can't anchor and for how long, it's no wonder the industry is dying a slow death. There's never any forward thinking with governments until it affects their bottom line. They continue failing to see just how much money boaters bring to small communities. They keep promoting local spending and vacationing but then put rules in place to contradict their message for one segment of the population. What would serve them right is for us to take our money elsewhere where tourism and boaters are welcomed commodities.

I get the targeting of the semi-permanent anchoring for the summer going on but they need to target those specifically rather than blanketing legislation that will cover recreational boating as well. When that happens, they can use it to do whatever they want. The cottager or association with the most pull will use the legislation against them/us and obligate them to enforce.

Somehow I feel that cottage associations have a lot to do with this. They've been lobbying for decades to get boaters out of their backyards. When they tried by saying we were polluting their bays with grey water and failed when tests showed the cause was actually old leaking septic systems, they walked away with their tails between their legs. I'm thinking this might be the result of their newest tactic. It's time for boaters to rally again I guess. Those responsible for this won't be getting MY vote!

Topic author Canada
C0ps
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 carver montego 528

Postby C0ps » March 2nd, 2023, 7:50 am

The funniest part of this proposal I read was that anchored boats cause shade in the water, which destroys vegetation at the bottom of the lake! Maybe we should tell cottages to remove their Docks!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 2nd, 2023, 9:37 am

Where I boat I can cross over to the US in 5 minutes or to Quebec in 20 minutes where this would not apply if enacted. Impossible to enforce for sure. Can you imagine someone taking count of how many times you have anchored in 1 spot and keep count until you reach seven max nights before they fine you? Lets get real here. Once again some powerful, connected, multi millionaires wanting the entire waterfront to be free of anything they do not like. I cannot see this being applicable for your standard recreational boater as it would destroy many Ontario boating related industries not to mention it would cause safety issues when anchoring if one needs to be 300m from shore which would eliminate most protected bays and coves. Even proposing something this ridiculous is on the border of stupidity if you ask me.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 2nd, 2023, 9:39 am

C0ps wrote:Source of the post The funniest part of this proposal I read was that anchored boats cause shade in the water, which destroys vegetation at the bottom of the lake! Maybe we should tell cottages to remove their Docks!

Oh my, did anyone inform these rocket scientists that a boat swings at anchor. Maybe they should tell mother nature not to allow clouds over water. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 2nd, 2023, 9:42 am

The government doesn't have to do the monitoring, the cottagers will do that for them, and the one that screams the loudest or has the most pull will get action no matter the vessel involved.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 2nd, 2023, 10:00 am

Somehow I don't think this is directed at regular boaters and won't affect the industry in general. On GBay the parks already have people that collect for anchorage fees now, so there is already some monitoring going on, OPP patrols constantly each day.

Now as far as cottagers are concerned.....consider what they have to deal with every weekend of the summer....dock and boat damage from boat wakes, huge rafts of partiers in their bays, dinghies, jet skis, noise till all hours and this is every weekend not just some....most weeks boats were taken out and anchored mid week and left so they got the desired spot. I can tell you first hand that boaters are their own worst enemies when it comes to this bad behaviour ( NOT ALL boaters mind you ) but it is getting worse, we never used to leave the marina on the weekend when we lived up there because of it.

There is a way to co exist with some common sense and education, there is always two or more sides to any issue, the trick is to recognize the middle ground.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » March 2nd, 2023, 10:32 am

So true Bud. Also, maturity also plays a huge hand in these situations. Thinking of which, If my wife and I were able to actually purchase a water front property, and, every week-end there would be an out of control rafting party in front of it, I too would not be a happy camper. I think there want to go after the abusers of our waterways, that's what I think.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » March 2nd, 2023, 2:27 pm

The pictures show exactly where we like to anchor and are within a 1 -2 hours cruise from our Marina. This would impact hundreds of boaters in the area who use these anchorages on a regular basis.

I think these proposed regulations are ridiculous and would clearly have to be challenged by Boating Ontario.

Cottage owners have always had an overwhelming sense of entitlement when it comes to the water, both on the lakes and the canal systems. As boaters we need to be respectful and share the water, but as you know, some boaters don't understand this.

My hope is that this law refers to renovated barges specifically. There is a guy who floated shipping containers on pontoons. I think he has three of them. In the summer he pulls these out onto the waterways and secures it to an island just off the Trent/Severn waterway. It looks like shit and I understand why a cottager would be upset with that. The municipality has been fighting with the guy for a couple of years and he still does it. My understanding is that he is trying to build and sell these to people.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will pay close attention to this for sure and all we can do is see what developes.

Greg

Return to “General Boating Discussion”