Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Boat Canvas

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Boat Canvas

Postby Petemait » April 1st, 2023, 9:35 am

Does anyone know of a place where they can make canvas enclosures based off of patterns they have from making covers previously?
We are replacing our aft cabin canvas on our 2807 Riviera.
Considering doing it ourselves but if anyone knows of a good place with patterns that would be cool.
Any advice?
Thanks, Pete
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Boat Canvas

Postby Midnightsun » April 1st, 2023, 10:18 am

Problem in todays world is nobody seems to want to help out any more. Everybody wants money for everything they do, lots of money. I seriously doubt there are patterns available to the public at any cost. There is a place called Letas Top Shop that I know will make tops as she had patterns for Bayliners but not sure if she has Carver. She was fair priced however since snap locations on boats vary so much from one to the other she would send the tops and the customer needed to install the snaps to suit. I do not think she would send a pattern to anyone but it may be a less expensive alternative than custom made on site.

When people start to buy machines to make their own, it is a good sign the market has seriously overpriced itself. ;-)

https://letastopshop.com/
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 1st, 2023, 10:30 am

The other thing to consider with patterns, they would rely on the frame work to be a certain size and shape, also fastenings. The frame work would completely alter a canvas pattern, fit and overall look.

Over the years things get altered from factory by previous owners, and even the factory fits are different depending on the year and day they were originally made. Custom/professional will be pricey but if you choose the right people the final result will look great and increase your boats value IMO.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » April 1st, 2023, 10:37 am

The shops around here that do that type of work will only do it on the boat. Due to the previously mentioned variables, it is the only way they can get the proper fit. You could provide what you currently have as the pattern, but chances are you will not be happy with the fit. There should be a number of mobile canvas installers. Ask a local retail shop owner with canvas awnings who they use. Good luck. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » April 17th, 2023, 11:42 pm

I don't come here often, but we are working on doing our own replacement on our 3607. We are using the existing canvas to pattern the new one. Also watching the Sailrite videos. Purchased an Omega Walking foot sewing machine for the project. There is a FB page called Sewing on Boats (SOB) that provides lots of info. Most seem to be "Sailrite cult members". There are other options! We figure that even if we have to redo the whole thing twice (due to mistakes), it is cheaper than going with a shop. So far, cost of fabric, machine, thread, incidentals we are below $2500 Cnd. Dock mate's cover last year was over $10k Cnd.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » April 18th, 2023, 11:05 am

Grafunkus post some pics of your work.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 18th, 2023, 11:01 pm

I would not even try to buy canvas from someone that did not come to the boat for measurements. Even if you "save" a couple thousand dollars, when it doesn't fit, you then have nice canvas trash can liners.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » April 26th, 2023, 9:12 pm

I agree with Tom'schauer.
However it is near impossible to get someone to the boat, especially at this crunch time in the season. If you have the time and the gumption to DIY, thats probably your best bet.
Good luck.

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » May 1st, 2023, 6:54 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post Grafunkus post some pics of your work.

When I have it finished, I will post.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 2nd, 2023, 11:14 am

Grafunkus wrote:Source of the post
g36 wrote:Source of the post

Grafunkus post some pics of your work.

Great