Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anyone know the signals to open a draw bridge?

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Anyone know the signals to open a draw bridge?

Postby Seif911 » April 6th, 2014, 9:43 am

Morn' All,

So it seems like this should have an easy answer but I am conflicted. I called the city, and the guy in charge of the workers thought it MIGHT BE 3 short blasts of the horn. I looked do at a iPad app and it states that the Coast Guard rules state, '3 long, 4-6 seconds, blasts, and 1 short, 1 second, blast'. Thoughts?

I changed my dock location to up river to save myself 75% of my dock costs! but now I have the bridge to deal with :(

Thanks,

Steve
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Re: Anyone know the signals to open a draw bridge?

Postby CYO Admin » April 6th, 2014, 10:59 am

As you approach the bridge there should be a blue sign with what looks like a telephone receiver with a lightning bolt through it. This will give you the radio frequencies that the bridge monitors (usually 16 and 13 or 9). It is customary, at least in most areas, to contact the bridge tender by VHF radio to request an opening, however, there is a sound signal that can be used.

The sound signal to contact the bridge is one prolonged blast followed within 3 seconds with one short blast. The bridge tender will acknowledge an OK with the same signal. If there is a problem in opening at that time the bridge tender will answer with a "NO" by sounding five short blasts. You acknowledge your understanding of the "NO" by responding with five short blasts.

Topic author United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Postby Seif911 » April 6th, 2014, 11:21 am

I will have to go down and take a look. I wish the boat was not as high so I could just avoid it all together.
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

United States of America
ScubaPete
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 406
Cummins 6BTA 330's

Postby ScubaPete » October 1st, 2014, 9:59 pm

Just join Active Captain. As you're cruising, you can see every bridge on your chart. The details section of each bridge lists the vertical clearance, the opening restrictions, and most have a phone number. I used to hail bridges on VHF channel 13, but now call them directly.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » October 2nd, 2014, 12:15 pm

Seems there are different ways for different areas. Here in St Joe, there are two bridges, Blossomland and BiCentenial. One will open every half hour on the 12 and 6, the other every half hour on the 3 and 9. If no boats are present, it won't open.

To alert the bridge master you are waiting, one blast of the horn is all it takes.
He does not acknowledge your blast.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » October 2nd, 2014, 1:23 pm

The same is true here. Technically, its one long blast followed by 2 short blasts - but it has devolved to one short blast. The 5 short blasts that CYO is referring to is bizarre, as that also refers to a vessel with no directional ability - not in control.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “General Boating Discussion”